|1. Kindling||2. Boss||3. Estwing|
Even today, people use a fireplace, where they keep themselves warm in the winter season with wood. It saves on electricity and gas. However, wooden logs can cost too much; there should be a proper method by which people can use their wood for a longer time.
The most efficient way of using wooden logs is by cutting them into smaller pieces. No, you do not have to be a lumberjack for cutting wood logs in the outdoors. You can buy the best log splitter online and chop massive wooden logs into smaller and more usable pieces.
Log splitters are very user-friendly since the advancement of technology.
You can easily pull a lever or switch on a button to start the machine. People these days prefer log splitters over chainsaws, as they can slip a log precisely to the required diameter, unlike chainsaws. You will also come across four-way wedges, which can cut the wood into four pieces in one shot.
Starting from homeowners to landscape professionals, anybody can use the machine for different purposes. Whether you want to use them for cutting your firewood or getting rid of uneven and weathered trees, the best log splitter can come handy.
Questions To Ask Yourself Before You Buy The Best Log Splitter
Before you make the final purchase, there are a few questions that you should ask yourself. Always choose a model that would answer all of your questions. Never settle for the second-best choice, as the best wood splitter would save both your effort and time. Moreover, it would be durable and safe to use, as well. So, let’s get started with the questions.
1. What Type Of Log Splitter Would Work For You?
Log splitters come in different varieties. They differ in styles, features, functions, and more. Various factors like the wood type, usage, wood amount, and likewise are taken into consideration while choosing a machine that would fulfill all your needs.
2. What Type Of Wood Are You Handling?
One of the most determining factors behind choosing a wood splitter is the type of wood you are handling. Hardwoods like maple, oak, and teak require a powerful wood splitter. Whereas softwood like spruce, pines, and more can be split with semi-powerful wood splitters.
3. What Is Your Budget?
Log splitters can start from $100 and range up to several hundred dollars. Wood splitters, which are in the high end of the spectrum, are more efficient and powerful. However, it depends on you whether you need a very powerful splitter or just a normal one.
4. Where To Buy It?
You can find everything online these days. Google the model and the type of splitter that you want. Google will provide you with the contact of various websites, manufacturers, and dealers. Whenever you are buying anything online, ensure that the site is authentic.
You should also check the warranty of the product, and the shipping and return policy of the website. Ask your friends whether they have shopped from the same site before. In case they have not, you can always check the feedback given by existing customers.
5. Is The Device Portable?
Apart from chopping wood logs for the fireplace at your home, you would also require wood when you are going on camping trips. That is why buying a portable wood splitter is the best option.
Most of the household wood splitters are portable. The wood splitters are lightweight and compact. Even the wood splitters which are heavy, can be ported to different places as well since they have wheels attached to them.
We hope that the above list has helped you to clear your head of some confusion. Now, it is time for you to understand the different types of log splitters which are available in the market.
Different Kinds Of Log Splitters
As we have previously said that log splitters come in different classifications, now we will read about them. Various models offer a mixture of features. Here, we will explain the benefits of using a particular model.
At first, let us talk about the three main types of log splitters which you would in the market. As mentioned before, factors like ease of use, type of wood, and the budget would determine the kind of wood splitter which you will finally buy. Depending on your requirements, you can even customize your log splitter.
1. Manual Log Splitter
You can call this the traditional wood splitter. Here no gas or electric is used for splitting the wood, only sheer labor. A lot of physical strength is required to use this splitter. The device is operated through hand or foot levers.
However, they are not like an ax. Manual wood splitters are comparatively less strenuous and easier to use. The chances of accidents or any mishaps happening are less, as the user is in charge. These splitters are the best for household purposes as they are lightweight, easy to use, and economical.
- As the device does not have any machine involved, it would not produce any sound during working.
- The device does not depend on electricity, as it requires manual labor. So you can even use it in places where there is no electricity. This device comes handy during camping trips.
- There are no chances of tripping over cables as they do not have any.
- The device is lightweight and compact. The users can easily store the splitter anywhere they want.
- These splitters take a lot of time to split the wood. Ultimately it becomes a time-consuming process.
- Since you would use physical strength to use this machine, it can be physically strenuous. People cannot use it for a long time, due to the draining of their energy.
- You cannot split large wood logs with this primary machine.
- Your safety depends on your swiftness and alertness. Not being mindful can cause serious accidents.
Hence, if you need a log splitter for splitting only a few kinds of wood occasionally, then you should go for the manual ones. In case you want something more powerful, efficient, and quicker, you should consider an electric log splitter. They are more popular and used these days.
2. Electric Log Splitter
As the name goes, these machines run on electricity. They are used by people who are looking for a powerful tool that can provide a more massive output at a faster rate. You can use it both outdoors and indoors.
Moreover, they are cheaper than gas splitters, as they do not have an internal combustion engine.
Compared to gas splitters, electric splitters does not produce any harmful emission. It is lighter, less expensive, and requires less maintenance. Electric splitters often have a splitting range between 4 to 7 tons. People can also go to a higher tonnage of 20 tons.
- People can use it for both outdoor and indoor purposes. The electricity provides them with flexibility during use.
- Compared to gas-powered splitters, they are quieter, more economical, lightweight, portable, and compact.
- These types of splitters are eco-friendly, as they do not produce any harmful emissions by burning gas.
- They also do not need servicing and engine oil change, unlike their contemporaries.
- Their log capacity is less. They can only split wooden logs that have a length of 20 inches and a diameter of 12-inch – max.
- You always need a power outlet to use this machine. In case the power outlet is not close by, you have to use an extension. Hence it results in a maze of wires and cables. In remote areas, you have to use a generator.
- They have a maximum splitting force of 20 tons, which is not powerful enough for splitting massive logs.
If you can overcome these drawbacks, then this is one of the best log splitters which you can buy. If you deal with more massive logs mostly, then this is the ideal choice of product for you. But if you are looking for a more powerful splitter, then you have to move to gas splitters.
3. Petrol Or Gas Splitter
Among all the types of log splitters, which are available in the market, gas splitters are the most powerful. They can be used for both household and commercial purposes. These splitters are efficient, have high splitting force, can work with hard and long woods, and fast.
They can even be used on seasoned and wet timbers. For commercial purposes where people have to split a considerable number of logs, they are an ideal choice.
- As the splitters are not restricted by wires, cables, and power outlets,his feature makes them portable.
- They have a large splitting capacity. These tools can split logs which have a length of more than 20 inches and a diameter of more than 12 inches.
- Their splitting force is immense. It can range from eight tons up to thirty-four tons. A few commercial units come with an even higher splitting force.
- As these models are bulky and heavy, they can only be transported by towing them via ATV or a truck.
- Hence they are not easily portable, like other types of log splitters.
- They produce a lot of noise which can disturb the surroundings and cause damage to the ears.
- They are not suitable for indoor usage, as they produce harmful emissions by burning gas in the combustion engine. Using them indoors would make the atmosphere toxic, which is detrimental to health.
- The gas splitters come with a combustion engine that requires frequent changes of the spark plug, air filters, and oil. They need complete servicing, which is time-consuming and expensive.
- Faster splitting, more efficiency, and higher power can cost an arm. The gas splitters are more expensive than manual and electric splitters. People who are looking for a budget splitter would not be able to buy this.
Gas splitters are the best for people who will use it for commercial purposes. It would provide a better output within a short span, which is profitable for the users.
How Can You Choose The Perfect Log Splitter Within A Budget
People need to be extra careful while purchasing their log splitter if they are in a budget. The amount of splitting and the type of wood which you would deal with should be kept in mind while making the purchase.
Every log splitter has a few essential and necessary features. So whether you are upgrading your model or you are buying a log splitter for the first time, you have to ensure that the machine has all the features mentioned below.
1. Powerful Motor
The power of the motor depends on the wood you are handling. You need a new powerful engine if you are dealing with wet wood. Buying the best would splitter would help you to cut through wet and hard wood effortlessly.
A machine is only useful when it’s the motor that is functional. The engine determines the speed and reliability of the tool. If you are using the splitter for household purposes, then a horsepower of two would suffice. However, you can also go for 3.5 HP if your work is heavy-duty.
Therefore, you should always consider the type of wood you would be dealing with, the work purpose, and the amount of power you would require to complete your job effortlessly. Check the log splitter for amps and RAM force, besides its total horsepower.
2. The Diameter And Length Of The Log
Woods of different sizes need different kinds of log splitters. Logs that have a more significant length and diameter would require a particular type of log splitters. It entirely depends on the log splitter, and the size of the wood it can handle. Most log splitters can work with wooden trunks of 20-inch length and 12-inch diameter.
3. Adjustable Height
The log splitter that you are buying should have a log plate, and the height of that should be flexible depending on the size of the log you are going to work. Most splitters support height adjustment of two to three positions.
There are high chances that you would move with your splitter here and there. That is why you should buy a splitter that has heels attached to it. This way, you would be able to keep your splitter protected from any natural elements, and transport would be effortless. A ball hitch would help you to tow the splitter easily. Even the presence of a handle would help you to move the splitter.
5. Fast Cycle Times
The efficiency and how fast your splitter is depends on the cycle time. Choose a splitter that comes with a higher cycle time to improve its productivity and efficiency. Fifteen seconds cycle time suffices for most people. Faster the cycle time, more the wooden logs you would be able to split.
Since you would spend your hard-earned money behind the splitter, you have to ensure that the wood splitter has a sturdy build. Durable wood splitters are made of steel. The wood splitter that you are buying should be made of high-grade steel, which would be able to withstand even the harshest conditions compared to other splitters.
Repair and maintenance issues are likely to come up any time irrespective of the type of electronic device that you are using. Hence, your splitter must come with a warranty. Never forget to read the customer feedbacks and reviews on the splitter before you buy it. You should also check the warranty policy provided by the manufacturer on the product that you purchase.
To maintain the durability and productivity of any machine, you need to service it periodically. The frequency of servicing depends on the type of splitter which you are using and the workload. If you are using an electric splitter, they can run long without any need for servicing or maintenance.
However, if you are using gas splitters, you need to service them after every 3 to 5 uses. In case you are using a hydraulic log splitter, you would have to check the level of hydraulic fuel after each use. Checking the level would help you to maintain the optimum pressure.
It is always better to get an authorized dealer to service your machine to ensure that the entire device is taken care of nicely. They even have all the spare parts of the tool with them.
The brand of the log splitter which you are buying matters a lot. Brands become popular due to the quality of their products, the service which they provide, fewer drawbacks, and longevity. Branded products are subjected to continuous tests for ensuring that every product of theirs can perform to the best level.
Brands even have their customer service, through which they can help their customers in need. However, every brand is not equal. Some brands are famous for their creativity, while others are known for their sturdiness or ease of use.
That is why you should always research and compare different websites and products before settling down with the ultimate model. Keep your requirements in mind when you are searching through various products.
Safety Tips To Follow While Using Wood Splitters
Using a wooden splitter is never an easy job irrespective of the type of wood and the type of wood splitter you are handling. There are few safety precautions that you should undertake to prevent any injuries whatsoever. Therefore, here is a list of few safety tips which you can follow.
1. Know The Wood
Every type of wood behaves differently. That is why when you are placing the logs inside the splitter, and you should exercise caution. Always hold the wood on the sides rather than keeping it at the ends. Woods which have scratches, would split irregularly either breaking into bulky chunks or at an angle.
2. Be Alert
Any machine that uses blades should be treated differently. You must be alert always. Stop right away when you feel tired. Make sure that you have not placed your hands in a wrong position on the logs during the splitting session. Any incorrect movement or carelessness can result in a severe accident, like cutting your fingers or squashing them.
3. Have An Assistant Or Helper
In case you are using your splitter for the first time, or you are using a type of wood splitter for the first time, you should get some help. Having an assistant or a helper would not only help you to understand how to operate the machine effectively, but it would also prevent you from facing any untoward accident.
4. Prevent Backaches
Splitting wooden logs can be hard, especially when you are using a manual splitter. Placing and lifting the logs regularly from time to time, can easily lead to severe backache. Hence you should do basic stretches and take adequate rest to relieve back strain.
When you are buying a splitter, choose a model where the feature of height adjustment is available. This way, you would be able to place the logs comfortably without facing any strain. You can also go for electric splitters, which are easy to use.
5. Wear Appropriate Clothing
When you are working with a splitter, you need to wear appropriate clothes, along with protective gear. Wear gloves and goggles for preventing the splintered wood and wood dust from poking your hands and entering your eyes.
Wear non-skid shoes which are covered like boots to protect your feet. Do not wear clothes that are too loose as there might be a risk that your clothing might get stuck in the machines’ rotating parts.
6. Maintain Distance
When you are switching on the machine, make sure that you are at least ten feet apart from it. Follow the user manual and read about the safe distance policy that you should maintain while working with the splitter.
7. Avoid Poisoning
If you are using a hydraulic log splitter, there are chances that the hydraulic fluid would be developed under high pressure and escape in the form of gas. This gas is highly poisonous, which can cause gangrene, blood poisoning, and even death.
Wear an appropriate mask to save yourself from any harmful and toxic emissions. Service your splitter from time to time, to prevent it from emitting harmful gases and polluting the environment.
8. Right Lighting Conditions
Always use the splitter in broad daylight or under many bright artificial lights. Never use it in the area that is lit poorly. This mistake would not only hamper your work, but it might also cause accidents.
9. Position The Machine
Position the device on horizontal ground. You should lock it when you are not using it to prevent any movement. Avoid placing it on any icy, slippery, or sloppy surface. This kind of flooring would make your machine unstable, which would affect not only the efficiency of the engine, but also the quality of the split.
Never leave your device unattended when it is running. Remove the wood you have split right away after you are done working on it.
These are few essential tips which you should keep in mind when you are working with a wood splitter.
Now without any further ado, let’s start with the list of the best log splitters.
The online, as well as the offline market, is filled with various types and models of wood splitters. All these options can confuse people. They can end up making the wrong purchase.
Different wood splitters offer different wood splitting features. Some wood splitters are small and straightforward, which are typically used for household purposes, while others are used for industrial purposes.
Hence, buyers must have some guide which they can refer to for buying the best wood splitter for themselves. Our guide will provide you with the information which you require to buy the best wood splitter for money.
Top 16 Best Log Splitters In 2020
1. Kindling Cracker Firewood Kindling Splitter
If you are creating kindling for your pizza oven, fireplace, wood stove, or campfire, but you do not want to risk an injury by using an ax, then buying the Kindling Cracker is the perfect option for you.
It is an Australian product that comes with a patented and award-winning design. This log splitter is more comfortable, faster, and safer to use, which helps you to make the perfect kindling.
- Built with a single piece of premium cast iron, you can use this splitter for an extended period. It provides the most comfortable and safest way to create kindling, without any sharpened object or moving blade passing through your hands.
- It has a height of 12 inches, and the inside diameter of the top ring is 6.5 inches. The user needs to place the wooden log inside the iron safety ring. Then they have to strike the trunk with the help of a blunt instrument like wood, mallet, or hammer.
- It can cater to different purposes, such as making kindling for a smoker, barbecue, sauna, pizza oven, fire pit, and fireplace. The bottom of the splitter comes with bolt holes which the user can use for mounting the splitter permanently.
- It is excellent for both outdoor and indoor use.
- Period touch of paint and cleaning is the only maintenance that it requires.
- It is a safe log splitter that even children can use.
- It cannot be used for splitting massive logs.
- It has a less splitting force compared to a standard ax.
- It cannot be used for heavy commercial purposes.
The product comes with a warranty of five years, which ultimately makes in a good buy. People who are not looking for a very powerful wood splitter then they can choose this model. The best thing about this product is that it is eco-friendly and uber portable, allowing you to use it anywhere and everywhere you want.
2. Boss Industrial ES7T20 Electric Log Splitter, 7-ton
This electric log splitter by The Boss Industrial comes in maroon color and retails for $445.99. It is one of the top-rated electric splitters, which are available in the market. It offers unparalleled performance and quality to the users. It is complemented with patented technologies, which makes it famous among most people.
- This splitter can handle larger projects. This feature of the wood splitter is derived from the powerful two horsepower electric motor that it has.
- The splitting force of the splitter is 7 tons. Buyers can conveniently complete their projects without having much difficulty or spending too much time behind it.
- It has built-in side rails, which helps in keeping the wooden logs stable during the splitting process. The front handle even allows for hassle-free maneuvering.
- It comes with a two-year residential warranty.
- It offers an automatic RAM return.
- Users can conveniently carry out one-handed operations.
- It comes with a powerful motor of 2 horsepower and a high splitting force of 7 tons.
- It is expensive.
- It cannot be easily transported as it weighs 117 pounds.
- Some customers have complained that thicker wooden logs can be challenging to cut.
The users can use this log splitter both outdoors and indoors. Unlike gas-powered units, this product does not produce any harmful emissions.
One-handed operation and the patented hydraulic system makes this electric log splitter from the Boss Industry the perfect choice for many people. However, if you are on a budget, then this product might not be your ideal choice.
3. Estwing Sure Split Wedge – 5-Pound Wood Splitting Tool
This log splitter by Estwing retails for $18.47 only. So if you are looking for a budget log splitter, then you can check our this splitter. This splitter wedge comes in a revolutionary design concept that makes log splitting an easy and fast task.
- For providing customers with an easy start, the wedge comes with a fast taper head. This feature makes splitting an effortless task to do.
- The wedge also comes with The Sure Split fins, which permits a further wedge action. This feature of the wedge helps the user to cut throughout underneath the wood line for achieving sure splitting.
- The wedge is made up of the finest steel available in America. This feature makes the wedge durable and provides it with a longer lifetime.
- Users can quickly chop logs without facing any difficulty.
- The product comes with a honed cutting edge which offers effortless wood splitting.
- It is lightweight. This feature allows the users to take the wedge whenever they want.
- Some customers have reported that their wedge became deformed after a few uses.
- As users need to use their physical strength to chop the log, it can get strenuous after a few uses.
- Big wood logs cannot be chopped with this machine.
People can use this splitter wedge for hikers, hunters, campers, as well as other outdoor enthusiasts. It is highly portable as it is lightweight, and it can be easily stored as well. People who are looking for a budget wedge can go for this device. In addition to this, you do not need to service it frequently.
4. Sun Joe LJ10M 10-Ton Hydraulic Log Splitter, Green
This hydraulic log splitter by Snow Joe + Sun Joe retails for $158.79 only. This log splitter is crafted with sturdy and high-quality steel, which offers reliable performance and power. Buyers can easily use this log splitter for a long time after purchase.
- Users can harness the power of this manually operated two-speed pump for quickly generating a driving force of up to ten tons. This feature allows the users to split the logs within a short period.
- Due to its powerful hydraulic ram, this splitter can chop logs which are 8 inch wide and 18 inch long. It offers maximum leverage by featuring longer handles.
- Users have to turn a knob for quickly resetting the device’s ram return spring.
- The device comes with a warranty of two years. The manufacturer will warrant new and powered products, in case the customers face any problem.
- It is straightforward to use, as there is no usage of cords, oil, and gas. In addition to that, it also comes with wheels, making it highly portable.
- It is a powerful, efficient, and durable machine. It also has a large wood splitting capacity.
- It needs frequent servicing and maintenance to keep the machine efficient and working.
- It comes with cords, which can be a bit hectic to tackle during work.
- The machine is a bit heavy.
This is one of the best log splitters for commercial purposes. People who are looking for a log splitter for heavy use, they can opt for this. Buyers can easily cut large wood logs effortlessly within a short span of time. It is also cost-effective. As it does not have a combustion engine, it does not harm the environment.
5. Powerhouse XM-380 Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter, 7-ton
This electric hydraulic log splitter by Powerhouse retails for $345.96, and it comes in a bright red color. With this log splitter, buyers can split more than a hundred logs within a maximum of forty minutes. This powerful machine eliminates the risk of any injury, and empowers even the beginners to split wooden logs comfortably at home.
- It has a motor of 3.5 Horsepower and a splitting force of 7 tons. Hence, it takes only about six seconds for splitting hardwood logs, which have a length of 20 ½ inches and a diameter of 12 ½ inches.
- It is lightweight and small with built-in wheels. Users can quickly move the splitter around their work area.
- It has a fantastic safety feature. It offers two handles for simultaneous operation, which ensures that both the hands are used while chopping the log. This feature prevents the risk of any injury whatsoever.
- It comes with an enclosed design and a welded steel construction, which not only makes the log splitter durable, but also gives it a sturdy built. Hence, you can easily depend on this device for many years.
- It has a powerful motor and a high splitting force, which increases productivity and decreases the work time.
- It is eco-friendly as it does not produce any toxic emissions which will harm the environment.
- It can be used for both indoor and outdoor work purposes.
- It can quickly chop dense wood without the users having to do much.
- It is expensive.
- You need to have a power outlet near your work station for the device to work.
- Some buyers have reported that the wheels off the splitter are too close to each other. So if you are not careful while moving the splitter, you might trip over.
This splitter has an electric powered and reliable hydraulic system that prevents the hassle as well as the expenses of maintaining this small gas engine. It’s powerful hydraulic ram can split the logs in a controlled and safe manner. The user would not need to use any wedges, sled hammer, or axes after using this device.
6. Wen 56207 6.5-ton Electric Log Splitter
This electric log splitter by WEN would help you to turn the wooden logs into firewood quickly. It comes in a color combination of black and orange. It retails for $286.21. It can help you to split the hardest of logs without physically straining you.
- It is a versatile log splitter that is complemented with a 34-inch stand mount to keep the device off the floor. You can even assemble the wheels accordingly, so that the log splitter can be on the ground directly for creating a low-profile design.
- This log splitter can work with logs with a diameter of 10 inches and a length of 20.5 inches. It has side-mounted support wings, which prevents the wood from moving during operation.
- It has a powerful motor of 15-amp, which creates a log-cracking power of 13,000 pounds. The machines combine the power of the engine with a 20-second cycle time, which allows it to handle about one hundred and twenty logs within an hour.
- This five-inch wedge measures perfect forty-five degrees to provide an accurate and sharp split – even when you are using the toughest woods.
- It can work it sturdy and bulky logs.
- It has a powerful motor and high cycle time.
- It uses electric power to operate, which means no carbon monoxide or gasoline emissions are created.
- There is limited maintenance and servicing behind this product.
- The 5.5-inch never-flat wheels allow the users to transport it easily.
- It is expensive and bulky.
- Customers have complained that it does not work well with wet wood.
- Customers have also complained that the controls hinder the eyeline when they are working.
This electric splitter is very easy to use. It offers reliable start-ups whenever you are using it. There is no problem with clogged carburetors and no need for gas.
In addition to that, you do not need to follow a hardcore maintenance routine behind this splitter. It has an auto-return cylinder, which automatically retracts after the splitting is done. This feature helps you to save your energy and time between logs.
7. Timber Tuff TMW-11 Manual Log Splitter, Green
This manual log splitter by Timber Tuff retails for $37.62 only and comes in a vibrant black and green color. People who are searching for a log splitter, which is easy to carry, store, and work with, then they can go for this product.
- The slide hammer offers a comfortable and sturdy grip that works as a safer and hassle-free alternative to mauls and axes.
- Buyers can easily use this manual log splitter for years, as it is constructed with heavy-duty steel. The steel is also heat-treated, which makes it more efficient than other standard manual wood splitters.
- It can work with wood, which has a length of 24 inches and has a blade length of 2 inches.
- It comes with a warranty of one year.
- The blade does not need to be sharpened.
- The maintenance cost behind it is meager. You might need to paint it and service it once after using it for a long time.
- It cannot work for people who are looking for splitters for heavy use.
- Customers have complained that the hammer handle is potentially weak. After using it for a few times, they can witness some wear and tear.
This is one of the best log splitters for the money for homeowners who are looking for a log splitter for chopping wood for their fireplaces, or when they are going camping. It can be easily stored in the garage or anywhere in the house. It does not cost much, and it would also last long. Hence, people who will buy this, would be making a smart investment.
8. Manual Log Splitter Wedge Diamond Wedge
This fantastic manual log splitter by Redneck Convent retails for $15.99 only. It is available in the color red. This splitter allows the buyer to chop the wood within a few seconds, while saving their hands and their back from suffering any pain or injury.
- While the traditional shapes of styles of log splitters like flat chisel end splitter are challenging to use and provides mediocre results, this tool would surely not disappoint you. It is designed in a cross-section diamond shape, which helps in weakening the logs from different angles.
- It has a pointed end, which offers easier starting. The spherical, flat, and broad striking face allows for efficient and centered blow, while the notches stop the log from moving during the process.
- It is constructed with hardened and heat-treated railway steel. The orange painted surface maximizes its longevity and strength that resists corrosion and rust.
- The wedge has a width of 3 inches and a length of 7 inches. It weighs only 4.1 pounds, which gives the users the perfect option of undertaking easy and accurate chops.
- It offers a four-direction split, which allows the users to chop the log at an angle they prefer. It is so straightforward to use.
- It is cost-effective.
- It is not recommended for large diameter hardwoods and knotty woods.
- Some customers have reported that the wedge has been painted so thick that it made it slippery, making it hard to use.
Unlike other wood wedges, this log splitter would not bounce out after the first few hard hits. This wedge would stick, bite, and split the wood in the size that you want. Users can use their eight-pound hammer on this wedge to cut sycamore, walnut, hickory, mighty oak, and likewise.
9. Helko Werk Vario 2000 Heavy Log Splitter (Splitting Axe)
This massive and enormous log splitter by Hello Werk is a splitting ax which is perfect for heavy-duty splitting jobs. It has been built to handle the most challenging and demanding tasks. Capable of splitting heavy firewood, large rounds, and tree trunks, this comes with a punishing weight and a deep wedge that can deliver an incredibly powerful and swift striking force.
- The head of the ax is handmade in Germany. It is made up of C50 High Carbon Steel, which is found in Germany. It is hand-forged on open dies by drop hammer. The Helko crown is hammered into the cheek.
- The handle is crafted in Switzerland. It has a smooth and sanded 150 grit. The handle of the ax has a finish of boiled linseed. It has been notched with a steel ring wedge and hung with a wood wedge.
- The ax comes with an ax-guard. It is manufactured in the USA. It has a twist top nozzle, and the shaft is provided with 100% biodegradable and green metal treatment.
- It can be used for both household and commercial purposes.
- They can be used for cutting massive wood logs.
- It can provide sharp and accurate cuts at just a single blow.
- It requires a lot of physical strength as it is a manual splitter.
- User has to be careful while using this ax to prevent any serious accidents from happening.
It is an active log splitter which people can use for both outdoor and indoor purposes. The wood splitter is eco-friendly, as it does not use fuel or electricity during use. People can easily take this ax anywhere they want and use it accordingly. You can cut down hardwoods without shedding much sweat.
10. Ames True Temper 2414200 4-pound Torpedo Wedge
This is one of the best log splitter for the money from Ames which is another cost-effective tool that people can buy. It is available in the color red, and it retails for $21.06 only. It is an innovative and effective wood splitting wedge that has brought revolutionary changes in the world of log splitting.
- This splitting wedge would help you to split the log in 4 directions easily for your fireplace, wood stove, and other needs. With every strike, the wedge projects the force in four different directions.
- The wedge has a length of 7 inches and a head weight of 4 pounds. This feature of the wedge allows it to withstand repetitive and hard pounding for an extended period.
- It is incredibly portable and lightweight. Hence you can carry it whenever and wherever you want.
- It makes wood splitting an easy job. Unlike other wood splitters, this wood splitter can apply the same cutting force in multiple directions, allowing for faster and effective cutting.
- It is cost-effective, and it is well-built, which gives it a long lifetime.
- It cannot be used for commercial purposes or for cutting hard and bulky woods.
- Some customers have complained that it cannot be used it is seasoned or wet woods.
- Some customers have also complained that it’s effectiveness decreases after new use, and then splitting becomes a hectic job.
Compared to its contemporaries, this splitting wedge offers a lot of features and qualities at such a low price. It comes with a creative design that makes the work compelling, and the splitter also looks good.
11. Swisher 18840 4-Way Log Splitter Wedge
This log splitter wedge by Swisher comes in black color and promises you to reduce the log splitting time into half than it usually takes in other standard wedges. This wedge would help you to manage and maintain your property, and make your life easier.
- This wedge can easily slip over the factory wedge. It also fits Swisher branded 34 and 28-ton log splitters.
- It is built up of high-quality steel in the USA, which allows it to withstand the harshest work conditions and last for a long time.
- It is a four-way wedge that can slide on top of another wedge for doubling the cutting capacity.
- People can use it wedge with their other wedges for attaining a more accurate and sharp cut.
- Beginners can easily use this splitting wedge without facing any hassle or any risk of injury.
- It can work with a log that has a diameter of about 10 inches.
- It can only work in the horizontal splitting position.
- The manufactures have not tested the wedge on log splitter of other brands to understand it’s overall performance.
Buyers do not need to worry much about maintenance and service charges. It might need to be painted after using it for a long and repetitive period. You can work it with hardwoods, and you can work it with seasoned woods as well. It is excellent in reducing the splitting time, hence increasing the productivity of your work.
12. Goplus 6 Ton Hydraulic Electric Log Splitter
This is an electric hydraulic log splitter by Goplus, which is a splendid choice for people who have a fireplace or wood-burning stove. It features an efficient and modern design, which allows the users to transport their splitter easily.
- It has a maximum splitting force of 6 tons. It comes with an insulation class of class B. It has a waterproof rate of IP 54. The splitter works efficiently as it is complemented with a motor power of 1500W.
- It comes with two big wheels, as well as two comfortable grip handles allow for easy transport. It also has built-in lock cradles, which help in keeping the logs on track.
- Since it is made of durable material, there is hardly any possibility of the splitter getting rusted. The stable construction also offers a long-term service lifespan.
- The manufacturer offers a 100% risk-free guarantee. So, if you are not impressed, you can return the product right away.
- It can work with logs having a length of about 21 inches.
- It can quickly split any hardwood within a few seconds.
- It comes with wires, which can get tangled and offers restrictions during work.
- Some customers have reported that they have faced problems while using it on Oak knots.
It is ultimately a good buy. All you need is a power outlet, and you can split all the wood that you want within a few minutes. It is durable, and it would work with most of the knots. However, you might have to take some break while using this device, as it gets heated up after frequent use.
13. Felled Manual Log Splitter Wedge Diamond Wedge
This is a manual log splitter wedge by Felled, which retails for $15.99 only and comes in a quirky orange color. With this wedge, users do not have to worry about waking up with a sore back and hands the next day. Splitting with this wedge has become a piece of cake.
- Users can use this wedge with their eight-pound hammer for splitting sycamore, walnut, hickory, and robust oak.
- It comes with a diamond-shaped cross-section which can weaken the log at different angles. Therefore, you would be able to split the wooden logs in four different directions at the same time. This not only saves your time, but also protects your energy.
- The end of the splitter is sharp and pointed, which allows for easy hammering. The face of the wood splitter is spherical, which enables the user to provide an efficient and centered blow. The head is flat and wide, offering more splitting power.
- It is built with hardened and heat-treated railway steel. The surface of the splitter is painted orange, which prevents it from rusting.
- It is cost-effective.
- It has a high splitting force that lets the user cut through the wood quickly.
- It comes with notches, which prevent the movement of the log during the splitting session.
- It helps in making sharp and accurate cuts.
- This tool is not recommended for hardwoods with a large diameter or knotty wood.
- The tool comes with a warning that it might expose the user to toxic chemicals that are capable of causing reproductive harm, congenital disabilities, and cancer. So it is better that you take the required precautions while using the splitter.
This tool is easier to use than the traditional shapes and styles of log splitting wedges like end tree wedges, flat chisel style, and likewise. It is built to last, has a perfect size, easy to use, and portable as well. Therefore, you can buy this splitter if you are on a budget.
14. EasyGoProducts EGP-WSPL-001
This fire kindling is our third best pick. This wood splitter is manufactured by EasyGoProducts and retails for $37.99 only. This wood splitter has brought splitting to a more natural and safer level. Unlike the other log splitters which are available in the market, this product is uniquely designed for evenly split and twist firewood or kindling into one inch to ¼ inches pieces.
- It is a portable wood splitter. But if you want, you can even fix them at a particular place. It comes with four bolt holes, which offers permanent and sturdy mount on a flat surface like a wooden block.
- The splitter comes with a Kindle Jack Jar, which allows the user to get their kindling efficiently and safely. The wood splitter is designed in such a way that the ax blade is mounted safely away from direct contact. You have to use a sledgehammer or a regular hammer for splitting the wood.
- Users can cut their wood quickly by using this product. Within a maximum time of ten minutes, users can produce a tremendous amount of kindling.
- It does not cost much compared to the other products.
- Even though it is a manual splitter, you do not have to use a lot of physical strength for splitting your wood.
- It helps the user to split the wood safely without getting injured in any way.
- Few customers have complained that the Kindling Kracker can limit the size of the split, which can create measurement problems.
- Few customers have even received damaged products.
It is a pre-sharpened manual splitter that you can start using the movement. It is delivered to your doorstep. This splitter is perfect for getting wood chops for your fire stove, fireplace, sooner, barbecue, sauna, pizza oven, fire pit, and likewise.
For people who want a versatile wood splitter can be used for many purposes and also does not cost much, then this is the ideal tool for them.
15. Boss Industrial CW-S Log Splitter 4-way Cross Wedge
This log splitter wedge by Boss Industrial is our second best pick. It retails for only $41.68, and it comes in black color. Not only it looks good, but splitting the wood with this wedge is fun.
- It is a four-way cross wedge attachment that allows the wooden log to be cut in four different ways. It can slip on and off effortlessly.
- It is made up of hardening steel. This feature allows the product to have a sturdy build and a long lifetime.
- It can quickly drop on as well as lift-off.
- It is compatible with BOSS ED8T20, EST20, ED7T15, ES5T20 log splitter. There is no assembly required.
- It is lightweight, weighing only four pounds.
- It is cost-effective.
- It is eco-friendly.
- It is best used for household purposes.
- It is compatible with specific BOSS log splitters only.
- Some customers have reported that it can only work on small logs, depending on the wood species the user is handling.
- It does not come with bold options for the users to screw it to a fixed position.
This product comes with a good concept, but it is best used for household purposes. People who do not need to chop wood often, can buy this product. It works the best with branches that have a diameter of a four-inches.
Since there is no use of electricity or fuel, you do not have to spend a lot of money behind maintaining this product. Only servicing it after continuous and rigorous usage for a long time, you might need to paint it.
16. Boss Industrial CW-S Log Splitter 4-Way Cross Wedge
This product is our top pick for the best log splitter, which you can find in the market. A company named Firewood manufactures it. It comes in a sleek black color. It is a manual splitter which is made up of top-grade cast iron.
- The splitter has an inside diameter of 6.5 inches for the top ring, and it has a height of twelve inches. It provides an easy and safe way of making kindling without any sharpened object or the moving blade passing through your hands.
- It consists of a single piece of robust and top-notch quality cast iron, which even your grandkids can use to make their kindling. The maintenance that it requires consists of only a touch of paint orbit of polishing, after using it for a long time.
- The user has to use the mallet or hammer to strike the firewood inside the safety ring. Hence, you can safely, as well as quickly, split the wood for creating the perfect kindling.
- It is easy to use even when you are working with hardwood and knotty woods.
- It does not require much maintenance.
- It is lightweight.
- It is made up of premium quality material and also comes with a hundred percent guarantee.
- It requires the users to use their physical strength to chop the woods
This splitter wood helps you to split a truck full of wooden logs within a few minutes. It helps in achieving sharp and accurate cuts, without facing many difficulties. Even though it is small in structure and lightweight, you can quickly chop hardwood with this splitter.
All you need is a hammer to strike the wood down through the splitting wedge. It provides maximum security, which makes it the perfect tool to use for a user of any age range.
What’s Your Best Log Splitter?
This detailed guide would surely help you to find the ideal wood splitter, in which you can comfortably work without facing any difficulty. The products that are listed over here come with several features and functions which would cater to all of your specific needs and requirements. Without a worry, you can go through this concise list and choose the wood splitter that matches best with your requirements.