Is it possible to have a lovely green lawn without an adequate water supply? Some places stay green due to natural rainfall. But in the present age where we are under strict water constraints, manual watering doesn’t seem to be a viable option.
Manual watering leads to the wastage of about 50% of the water in the form of runoff or evaporation. Knowing this, shifting from manual method to sprinklers is the right choice for you.
Today, we will shed light on some of the best sprinkler heads available in the market. Sprinkler irrigation is a modern lawn care tool replacement for the manual methods of irrigation.
And, it has managed to lay down a strong foundation in many gardens and lawns. The concept behind a successful sprinkler is straightforward, i.e., water is distributed in the form of small droplets, even in the air.
These water droplets, then settle down on the leaves of the plants and grass, mimicking natural rainfall. Sprinkler head, which distributes water, is an essential part of the sprinkler irrigation system.
Benefits Of Best Lawn Sprinkler Heads
1. Sprinkler Irrigation System
Sprinkler systems are getting increasingly popular these days. Most people are under the notion that in-ground sprinklers cost a lot, but that is not true. These are smart devices designed to maintain greenery in your lawn.
You may feel surprised to know how affordable these sprinkler systems are. After noticing the increasing scarcity of water, sprinkler companies have come up with more efficient designs.
These new advancements in the sprinkler systems save water and also ensure that your lawn is well maintained.
2. Environmental Benefits
Smart sprinklers know how to make maximum use of the amount of water available to them. They minimize water wastage by sensing the amount of water that the soil needs.
Some of the environmentally-friendly features of water sprinklers include moisture sensors, water gauges, and accurate timers.
3. Financial Benefits
Lawns add extra beauty to your house. In well-maintained conditions, a yard can increase the market value of a home by a margin of 15%. Since water usage is minimized, there is less wastage of water.
Using an efficient water sprinkler, you can save a lot on your water bill, as well. The sprinklers consume less electricity and gives excellent output. Besides this, you will be saving a lot of human resources as well.
4. Aesthetic Benefits
Lawns that are adequately watered by an in-ground sprinkler system look relatively healthier and greener, significantly increasing the curb appeal of your property.
5. Required Optimal Amount Of Water
Having an automatic sprinkle further cuts down your efforts. They possess soil moisture and rain sensors.
They detect the amount of water your lawn needs and sprays accordingly. Rain sensors determine if the soil is already moist with rainfall. And, thus, they help in averting unnecessary irrigation.
Technology has evolved with time and has brought ease and comfort with it. A lawn sprinkler is a pure manifestation that prevents you from carrying the water manually.
You don’t have to water the lawn yourself, as it reduces most of your lawn maintenance efforts. The only effort on your part is to switch on the systems from time to time.
If you own an automatic water sprinkler, things become a little easier. They come with a timer that automatically activates the sprinklers at the time of need.
The lawn sprinklers are pretty cost-effective these days. The use of plastic has made a significant contribution to it. Sprinklers are also very efficient and hence, save a lot of water.
Sprinklers are intelligently built with individual sensors that work when required. If it rains, the sprinklers will not get activated and pour additional water on the lawn. It is due to the handy rain sensors present in sprinklers.
You can save a considerable amount of water if you choose to use sprinklers. These sensors have various impacts on you financially and have some additional environmental benefits.
How Do Sprinkler Systems Work?
Having a sprinkler system saves more than manual labor. It is a one-time investment, easy to operate, and requires little maintenance. Besides this, you get an evenly distributed water supply, which ensures that your plants stay healthy and fresh.
A classic sprinkler system consists of an underground pipe system and retractable sprinkler heads. Pressure plays a vital role in the functioning of these sprinklers.
When high water pressure gushes in, the sprinklers start spraying water all over the lawn. And when the pressure falls, the sprinkle heads retract into the ground.
If you don’t have enough time to look after your lawn, better add a rain sensor to your system. It senses rainy conditions and prevents the sprinklers from activating themselves.
Sprinkler Head Controller
The most important thing about a sprinkler system is its electronic controller. Once you start laying down your sprinkler system, your controller should be attached to a set of valves enclosed in a box.
When water rushes into the box, it gets distributed into different zones via these valves. The controller plays a vital role by determining which valve to open and when it should open. It allows an even distribution of water all over your lawn.
Some other types of controllers are manual. They come with buttons that give you full control over the sprinklers. Keep in mind that you should switch off the sprinklers in time before your lawn gets flooded.
Factors To Consider Before Buying The Best Lawn Sprinkler Head
1. Good Coverage
It is a significant factor to consider while choosing a sprinkler. Before buying a sprinkler system, it is better to calculate the square feet area of your lawn.
Bigger lawns and gardens need stronger sprinkles, which can cover a large area. It is best to go for an adjustable sprinkler head in case of big yards. It allows you to adjust the highest of the sprinkler, thus controlling the area it covers.
2. Right PSI and GPM
Water pressure can be measured by the Pounds per Square Inch (PSI). Also, the water flow can be measured by Gallons Per Minute (GPM).
The type and range of sprinklers play an essential role in determining PSI and GPM. On average, most sprinklers have 30 PSI. On the other hand, a sprinkler with above 80 PSI can seriously damage your plumbing.
3. Easy Installation
Installation is another thing to focus on when it comes to sprinkler systems. In general, there are two types of sprinklers.
One of them requires you to dig up a connection between the sprinkler and your home water system. On the other hand, there are much simpler sprinklers that need to be screwed down.
4. Made Up Of Right Material
Sprinklers should be made of sustainable material like copper or any other metal which have a comparatively longer shelf life.
A sprinkler with a stronger base is much likely to work better and remain undamaged for a more extended period. Most sprinklers are designed to be rust-resistant and leak-proof. It ensures longer and better service.
5. Types Of Sprinklers
- Pop Up Style Sprinklers
Sprinklers installed below the ground, are called pop-up style sprinklers. A piston containing the nozzle lifts from beneath the land and showers the water all over the place. Once it completes the job, it submerges itself into the ground.
- Shrub Style Sprinklers
These types of sprinklers are traditional and are less frequently found these days. A pipe is present with a sprinkler head on top of it. In earlier days, these sprinklers were used to water the shrubs, and also known as Shrub Style Sprinkler.
However, over time, their usage has significantly declined. They are used only in those areas where other sprinklers fail to work. Shrub sprinklers are obsolete, and there are much better sprinklers available.
Some people even adopt drip irrigation method in place of Shrub Sprinklers.
- Oscillating Sprinklers
The oscillating sprinklers are the most common type of sprinklers. At its core, it is a simple device that is used to spray water around your lawn.
It sprays out the water in a fan-shaped curtain while the arm oscillates back and forth. And this is the inspiration for the name. It is a very efficient sprinkler for watering a rectangular area.
- Stationary Sprinklers
As the name itself explains, this type of sprinkler rests at one place in your lawn. If you are only looking to water a small area, this might be the best lawn sprinkler for you.
It is available in different forms, namely – circular, rectangular, or square. Stationary sprinklers work good under low water pressure and are comparatively more durable. There are fewer chances of and functional damage.
- Pulsating Sprinklers
This type of sprinkler is again also a traditional pick and still works like a charm. A rotating sprinkler head is attached to a garden hose that can help in watering your lawns by rotating around.
Some of the pulsating sprinklers turn to 360 degrees and covers the area in a semi-circle. These sprinklers can cover a vast area of the garden. If you have kids who like to play with water, then it is fun for them.
Top 15 Best Sprinklers Heads of 2020
1. Melnor 65074-AMZ XT Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler
It works in an oscillatory motion, which ensures that not a single blade of grass misses out. You can adjust the width if you need to water a narrow area or large lawn, while the tabs allow you to control the range of watering to your needs. This is one of the best sprinkler heads in the market.
- Good Range: Melnor-AMZ XT turbo oscillating sprinkler can cover a maximum area of 4500 square feet at a given time.
- Variable Range Control: This Sprinkler offers you command over the area that you wish to sprinkle the water.
- Explicitly Designed with Spray Pattern Adjustment: It comes with controls designed specially to serve the purpose of adjusting the spraying pattern.
- Smooth Spray: A more seamless spray is unique in this device, which can water your lawn smoothly.
- Easy to Connect: It is easy to connect the sprinkler with the product adaptor included in the box.
- The lightweight plastic material of the product gets easily adjusted and provides a brilliant shower to the plants and grass.
- The product is made with superior quality material.
- It is highly durable and will last longer.
- The motion transfer of this product is quite smooth.
- The product justifies its price and gives 100% value for your money.
- It provides flexibility in spraying water and covers the whole lawn.
- The width control built should have been better as it’s a bit fragile.
2. Melnor Pulsating Lawn & Garden Sprinklers
The sturdy design makes it possible to spray over a much larger area in comparison to other sprinklers.
Large lawns may be challenging to manage, but this sprinkler makes it look almost effortless. The excellent angle adjustment feature makes it easy to cover a large area. This is one of the best sprinkler heads in the market.
- Easy Installation: The system is easy to install, and decidedly less effort is required to set it up.
- Adjustable Head: The system comes with an adjustable head that offers a variable range.
- No Assembly Hassles: The system doesn’t hassle you with its assembly, as it is easy to assemble and start.
- This version of the Melnor Sprinkler system comes with a design that helps in covering a broad range at a single command.
- The product is easy to install, and the assembly process is also hassle-free.
- The system doesn’t waste water and stands true to its performance.
- The design could’ve been better.
3. Rain Bird 25PJDAC Brass Impact Sprinkler
It is one of the best sprinkler heads which includes a diffuser screw that helps in preventing the appearance of brown spots on the sprinkler. This is one of the best sprinkler heads in the market.
- Vast Range: The Rain Bird system covers 5200 square feet.
- Slide Splash: The intricate mechanism prevents slide splash of water.
- Gallon Output and Installation: The product offers high gallon output 1/2″ male pipe thread outlet connection for easy installation of risers.
- Resizable Drops: The use of diffuser screw attains smaller water droplets.
- Adjustable Stream Length: Deflector flap allows you to adjust the stream length from 20 to 41′ radius.
- All Around Sprinkling: Sprinkler has a full 360 degree or part circle 20 to 340 degrees pattern of watering.
- Sturdy Build: It is a heavy-duty sprinkler as it comes in brass, bronze, and stainless steel materials.
- The Rain Bird sprinkler system has a very sturdy construction.
- The product gives the traditional impact sound and takes you back on a stroll down memory lane.
- The deflector of the sprinkler allows you to adjust the stream length.
- You can adjust the spray to cover a full circle or part circle radius.
- The sprinkler fails to cover as much area as promised by the developers.
- Setting the sprinkler to the optimal mode requires trial and error.
4. Milemont 360 Degree Rotating Lawn Sprinkler
The sprinkler can manage to supply water for a considerable amount of time. It is the ideal type of sprinkler that can suit summer camps.
Kids find it easy to operate, as well. It can effortlessly rotate around and tries to cover as much area as possible.
- Better Range and PSI: This sprinkler allows you to cover a distance of 3600 square feet. Water pressure can reach up to a maximum level of 80 PSI.
- Adjustable Arm: This sprinkler comes with a flexible arm that allows you a spray at an angle between 15-45 degrees.
- Durable Material: It is made with thick ABS material, and TPR encapsulated sides. It makes this sprinkler one of the best sprinklers available in the market.
- The Milemont Sprinkler System comes with a new butterfly sprinkler head, for spraying water in variations.
- The product’s three-arm construction can provide rotation at a 360-degree angle.
- The system has easy installation and can be made useful by just connecting it to the garden hose.
- The material used in this sprinkler system prevents leakage of water.
- According to the best sprinkler heads reviews, the material of the sprinkler system is weak and is prone to damage.
5. Rain Bird P5R Plastic Impact Sprinkler
It can cover the ground area by this broad and adjustable angle. This product also comes in a list of the best sprinkler heads which has a separate setting for 360-degree coverage.
- Better Water Coverage: This product has an adjustable and rotating arm that provides better water coverage. These arms are made of brass, which offers additional strength to the device.
- Diffuser Screws: These screws help in generating smaller droplets of water on the sidewalks.
- Splash Prevention: This device is developed skilfully to prevent splash.
- Easy to Clean: It can be easily cleaned by simply removing the bayonet nozzle.
- Area Variation: It comes with an adjustable setting. You can program them to go in full circles are half circles as needed.
- It works better at low pressure and provides efficient water distribution.
- This product by Rainbird works better with a timer system included in it.
- This system has a customizable water flow option.
- It has a heavy-duty polymer that provides toughness to the material.
- The controllability of this system is questionable.
6. Aqua Joe SJI-OMS16 Indestructible Oscillating Sprinkler
This Sprinkler has control width and range with 16 clog-resistant nozzles for superior coverage up to 3600 sq. ft. This sprinkler is extraordinarily durable, and reliable. It comes with a turbo gear which ensures high performance.
A solid metal base gives extra strength to the body of the sprinkler. It comes with a built-in clean-out tool, which ensures that your nozzle is dirt-free all the time.
- Customization Power: There is a complete customization power available to the owner.
- Significant Area Coverage: It can cover a maximum area of 3600 square feet.
- Leak-Proof Design: This device is designed to be leak-proof, thus helps in water conservation.
- Advanced Nozzles: It possesses sixteen clog-resistant nozzles.
- The Aqua Joe Sprinkler System is easy to use.
- This system has an excellent design.
- The Aqua Joe sprinkler system justifies its price.
- This system of sprinkler needs a garden hose pipe to operate it.
7. Rain Bird 1804VAN 4″ Professional Pop-up Sprinkler
Moreover, the heads allow even coverage to your lawn for better results. You can adjust the swing arc from 0 to 360-degree for equal saturation.
- Reasonable Number of Spray Heads: It has 5 Rainbird 1804 spray heads.
- Adjustable Nozzles: The system comes with an adjustable nozzle that is already installed in each head.
- Right Pop-up Length: The system has 4″ Pop-up height.
- Tool-free Arcs: It is one of the best sprinkler heads that can adjust the arc without tools from 0 to 360 degrees.
- Long Body Height: It has 6″ (15,2 cm) body height; 4″ pop-up height (10.2 cm) and exposed surface diameter: 2 1/4″ (5.7 cm).
- It gives even coverage to the field.
- This version of the Rainbird sprinkler system is made up of sturdy material.
- This sprinkler system has an adjustable spray.
- It comes with a decent warranty period.
- The Rainbird Sprinkler System makes water usage economically.
- The installation/adjustment of this sprinkler system may be difficult.
8. Sommerland Heavy Duty Brass Impact Head Sprinkler
It is a reliable device if you want something that could continuously spray your lawn. If you want better coverage, you can adjust the height between 16 to 37 inches.
- Robust Construction: Sommerland has provided heavy-duty solid brass construction for durability.
- Variable Coverage: The system gives adjustable coverage from 0 to 360 degrees over an area of 5000 sq. ft.
- The system carries a telescopic aluminum tripod with rubber mat weighted legs for added strength and stability.
- The sprinkler system from Sommerland has a sturdy and well-made brass head.
- It is adjustable from 25 inches to 48 inches.
- The installation of the system is easy and can be used very easily.
- The sprinkler head can get stuck sometimes.
- There is no instruction manual included in the original packaging.
9. Nelson 852023-1001 Plastic Pulsating Circular Sprinkler
With a robust plastic head, it can stand through even the harshest weather. Despite the plastic material, it is quite sturdy. The massive 85 feet ground coverage is what makes it the best water sprinkler in the market.
- Impact-resistant Plastic Head: This feature is advantageous over other systems in terms of durability.
- Extensive Coverage: The system can provide coverage of up to 5 feet in diameter.
- Metal Series Connection Spike: It has spikes made of metal to make the connections.
- This sprinkler will give you great value because of its high-quality materials.
- It covers a wide range and water large fields.
- It’s a bit flimsy because there are times when it can be easily removed from its place.
- The material also has some minor bumps, even though it’s got a premium finish.
10. Melnor 65003-AMZ MiniMax Turbo Oscillating Sprinkler
Melnor 65003-AMZ Minimax turbo oscillating sprinkler is unique in itself. Unlike most other oscillating sprinklers, the entire head of the sprinkler can rotate 360 degrees. It means that you don’t have to move the sprinkler in a different direction.
- Good Area Coverage: The maximum area covered by this sprinkler is 4000 square feet.
- Adjustable Modes: The sprinkler comes with four adjustable modes, and you can use them according to your lawn.
- Turbo Drive Motor: It possesses a turbo drive motor, which ensures even spray of water.
- Easy to Connect: You can easily connect the sprinkler with its Quick Connect Adaptor.
- This system is way more flexible than the traditional metal tube oscillating sprinklers.
- The system has a better design than its predecessors.
- The installation and use of this sprinkler system are straightforward.
- No owners manual or operating instructions are provided in the packaging.
11. Orbit 55662 Voyager II Professional Sprinkler
It can cover a distance of about 40 to 80 feet at a time. It has eight nozzles and has one key to adjust, raised to a height of 4 inches, thus easy in setting positions.
- Large Spray Radius: It can provide a spray radius of over 25 to 52 meters.
- Good Replacement: It acts as a suitable replacement for old and damaged sprinklers.
- Customized Sprinklers: It has customized sprinkler for equal yard saturation. It is set to 3 gallons per minute, but it can be changed when needed.
- The system comes with an adjustment key.
- It operates quietly, therefore, reducing noise during operation.
- It is compatible with a variety of brands.
- This system is straightforward to install and adjust.
- This system has superior quality.
- It is suitable for medium and small lawns.
- The system fails at even distribution of water. There is barely any water near the sprinkler head.
12. Rain Bird 32SASP Hose-end Gear Drive Rotor on Small Spike
Water is efficiently used, ensuring that your plants get irrigated and you save water at the same time.
- Spiked Rotor: The system has a hose-end spiked rotor that provides excellent service.
- Multiple Perks: It has a water-lubricated, adjustable gear-driven rotor that is designed for reliable operation.
- Water-saving Rain Curtain Nozzle Technology: This technology of the system produces large wind-resistant droplets and more uniformity.
- Easy to Adjust: The system has easy top arc adjustment, which requires only a flat-bladed screwdriver.
- Adjustable Rotation: It has an adjustable 40 to 360 degrees part-circle and reversing full-circle rotation in one, and it covers a distance of 19′-32′.
- Fast Forward Feature: It has a quick check arc/fast forward feature that allows you to check or set arc while the sprinkler is running.
- Protected Case: A protected closed-case design ideal for harsh operating conditions.
- The system is easy to install.
- The product comes with seals to keep debris out.
- It can adjust the patterns of watering efficiently.
- The system package has limited instructions.
13. Hunter PGP Rotor Sprinkler Heads
They are well protected against water damage, which ensures a longer shelf life. The only drawback to the structure is that springs are absent.
- Comes with Tools: It has adjustment tools that are included in each four-pack.
- Pre Installed Nozzles: The product has 4 Hunter PGP heads with seven pre-installed nozzles.
- Exceptionally Dirt Resistant: The dirt resistance in this device is exceptional.
- The product requires no assembly of parts.
- It has a sturdy structure.
- It is of standard size.
- The price of the system could have been lower.
- The system has no springs attached to it.
14. Orbit 55032 Sprinkler System
The incredible thing about Orbit Brass ½ inch sprinkler is the durability that it offers. It is brilliantly designed to go season after season without any damage.
- Good Coverage: At a given time, it can cover a maximum distance of 20-40 feet.
- Splash Proof: It comes with a backsplash proof mechanism. You can also conserve water.
- Compatible: This sprinkler works with all sorts of 1/2 inch impulse heads.
- It is highly resistant to clogging.
- This product can easily adjust patterns from 25-360 degree arc.
- It is made with a robust brass and stainless steel material.
- The device can mimic the rainfall.
- This sprinkler is exceptionally affordable.
- The spring system of this sprinkler is not as durable as others.
- This system is more prone to sticking.
15. Orbit 58565 Sprinkler System H2O-Six Gear Drive Sprinkler
Orbits H2O Drive Sprinkler is one of the most dynamic sprinkler you can find in the market. This device comes with six different settings, which makes it an ideal choice for all sorts of lawns – small, medium, and large.
- Ready to Use: This sprinkler is a ready-to-use product. It can be used right after unboxing.
- Easy to Operate: This sprinkler is easy to operate.
- Good Area Coverage: At a given time, it can cover a maximum area of 5000 square feet.
- Adjustable Rotation: You can easily adjust the sprinkler rotation – from partial to full circle.
- The system saves water by adjusting the start and end angles.
- The flow-through base allows the connection of multiple sprinklers in a series.
- The customers have reported a high number of faulty units.
Best Sprinkler Heads – Conclusion
You’ll need to weigh many factors to find the right one from the best sprinkler heads for your lawn. The most important thing, though, is that its specifications must match your purpose.
First, its range should cover the area you wish to water. It will be wiser to buy two or more units to cover a large area than buy a single sprinkler and move it every time. Frequent repositioning and adjusting do affect the performance and longevity.
Second, find a device that will function appropriately by the given average water pressure in your locality.
Restricting your options to the most potent and bestselling impact sprinkler will only frustrate you in the end. Things get worse when they fail to work at the water pressure of your house.
Third, learn about impact sprinklers and how to adjust them correctly. Sometimes, impact sprinklers do not come with the best instructions. Just knowing how they work gives you an edge in the game. So take your time and learn about sprinklers.