|1. GreenWorks||2. Sun Joe||3. Black+Decker|
This buyer’s guide will give you an in-depth look into what a self-propelled lawn mower is, what its features are, and some of the best self-propelled lawn mowers under $300 currently being sold in the market. It will also cover features of each mower along with its pros and cons as well as a link to buy it directly. In the end, we will be providing you with a conclusion as well as a few FAQs that are commonly asked to provide you with a complete package that will help to make your purchase a little easier.
What Is A Self-propelled Lawn Mower, And How Does It Work?
A self-propelled lawn mower usually works on a drive system, which makes them similar to a vehicle. It requires the user to squeeze a bar, which is referred to as a ‘bail’ which is on the handle to engage the mower. Once this is done, the mower begins to move forward on its own.
Given below are some of the features you must consider before buying a best self-propelled lawn mower.
Features To Consider When Buying The Best Self-propelled Lawn Mower Under $300
1. Front-wheel Drive (Fwd) Or Rear Wheel Drive (Rwd)
A front-wheel-drive lawn mower is better suited for a flat lawn whereas a rear-wheel drive is better for a lawn which has a slope. A rear-wheel-drive mower is better suited because its tires tend to provide a better grip.
Maneuverability includes movement as well as steering in a straight line. To test the maneuverability, it is necessary to consider the size of the wheels. The wheels should be large enough to move over wet grass and also if the lawn is on a hill or has a slope because smaller wheels will take up the weight of the machine itself when moving uphill or upslope and will not work correctly. Also, the steering ability of the mower should be flexible – that is, to say that it should provide a sort of swivel in the tires or the handle that will allow the mower to turn smoothly, easily, and effectively.
3. Power Source
A self-propelled mower will come in two variants – gas and electric powered. For those of you who have an electric connection in your lawn and can easily connect your mower to it and use it, an electric mower would be considered the best choice. However, in case you don’t have a junction box nearby, opt for the gas-powered one (although it is really hard to come by). This is when you can think of considered battery-powered mowers. You won’t require a cord connection for this, so this will surely be more convenient. However, remember to choose a mower that has a good battery life. Opting for a model that comes with a rechargeable battery option is the best.
4. Grass Collection Method
A mower functions in three different ways, once the grass has been cut. The first option is mulching, which is basically cutting and then allowing the grass to be strewn on the grown to get decomposed in due time. The second option is throwing it sideways, and the third option is bagging, which is collecting it in a container or bag, which is usually attached to the mower. Opt for a mower which has all the three functions combined in it, because each of the methods has its benefits.
Usually, the newer models come with excess additional features that may or may not be useful for the specific lawn you have. Thus, when you look to consider a specific lawnmower, always check the features which are an absolute necessity and not unnecessary. Some of the most important features to consider are – the grass clippings cleaning mechanism, the speed and height alterations as well as the 3-in-1 mulching quality.
Top 12 Best Self-propelled Lawn Mowers Under $300 2020
1. GreenWorks 20-Inch
This durable 20-inch steel deck and powerful 12-amp corded lawn mower from the house of GreenWorks comes in two variants – the 14-inch and the 20-inch. There are options to opt for either electric or electric and extra blade. It is a 3-in-1 mower which has – mulching, side discharge as well as rear bag.
- This mower has a 7-position height adjustment that offers various ranges of cutting height – right from 1 – ½ to 3 – ¾ inches, which are suitable for all grass types. It has a push-button start and a manual drive system. Its foldable handles allow for compact storage, and it has 10-inch rear as well as 7-inch front wheels.
- It is a 3-in-1 mower
- Has a large 20-inch steel deck
- Has a 7-position height adjustment
- Comes with a powerful 12-amp cord
- Isn’t made with good quality material
- According to past users, it is suitable for small lawns
- Longevity is doubtful
2. Sun Joe MJ401E
This Sun Joe mower with a powerful 12-amp motor that cuts through a 14-inch wide path has an adjustable deck which has a tailor cutting height and 3-position height control. Its durable 14-inch durable steel blades ensure a precise cut every time it is used. It has two variants – the original and the pro variant.
- This mower includes a 10.6-gallon bag as well as a discharge chute, and its pro-version comes with a rear discharge chute as well. Also, this lawnmower comes with Sun Joe’s customer promise that says that in case the product is damaged or suffers any form of wear and tear within two years from the date of purchase, they will send you a new product – no questions asked. We’d say this is more than reason enough for it to feature in our list of the best self-propelled lawn mower under 300.
- It comes with a huge 10.6-gallon bag to keep the cut grass and also has a discharge chute
- It has a powerful 12-amp motor
- It can cover a 14-inch path at one go
- It comes with a 3-position height control
- Customers who have used it haven’t been satisfied with its overall performance
- It tends to stop working all of a sudden
- The wheels tend to get loose
3. Black+Decker MTE912
This AFS automated feed system that ensures that the mower continues to workout stopping or
bumping has a 12-inch deck and comes from the house of Black+Decker. Its gear-drive transmission ensures that it doesn’t get bogged down easily.
- This mower is ideal for a property size of about 750 feet. It requires an average charge time of 4 hours to reach 100%. To charge it up to 60%, plug it in for 2.5 hours. It has a 6.5 amp motor that ensures maximum performance. The best part is, it doesn’t come with an extension power cord and has a cutting height of 1.6 to 2.4 inches.
- It has a cutting height of 1.6 to 2.4 inches
- It reaches 100% charge in just 4 hours. It reaches 60% charge in 2.5 hours only
- It is a 3-in-1 mower (works as a trimmer, edger, and mower)
- It doesn’t come with an extension power cord
- The mower is very fragile
4. GreenWorks 17-Inch
This lawnmower from the house of GreenWorks has two variants – the 16-inch and the 17-inch. It comes in – either a 40V 4.0Ah battery or an electric 10 Amp or 40V tool only.
- This mower makes use of an effective and efficient 40V lithium battery system and has a 17-inch deck, which is not just versatile but is extremely lightweight. Its 2-in-1 feature offers the mulching capability and comes with rear bagging for multiple usages.
- This mower has a single lever with height adjustment in 5-positions that offers a cutting height range anywhere between 1 to ¼ inch to 3 to 3/8 – providing the best cut in every environment. It usually requires a single charge to mow the lawn once. However, it doesn’t come with a battery or charger.
- It has a single lever 5-position height adjustment system
- It is a 2-in-1 mower that offers both rear bagging as well as mulching
- It has a 17-inch deck
- It is lightweight
- It doesn’t come with a battery or charger
- It battery tends to act up now and then
5. Black+Decker BESTA512CM
Another very good product from the house of Black+Decker, this electric lawnmower can easily be converted from a mower to a trimmer to an edger – showing its 3-in-1 function with absolute ease. It has a 6.5 amp motor and Power Drive transmission that provides the user with maximum performance, especially when trimming through the most stubborn weeds, grass as well as overgrowth.
- This has an automatic feed Spool (AFS) that allows you to continue working without it bumping or it having to stop to adjust the Spool. It has a cutting height of 1.6-inch to 2.4-inch and a cutting path of 12-inch. It is extremely lightweight and comes with an adjustable handle as well as height positions that ensure maximum overall comfort and control.
- Its cord retention system prevents the cord from accidental disconnection. The corded power reads – 8000 RPM. Its line diameter is of – .065 meters. However, it doesn’t come included with the extension cord.
- It has a cutting height of 1.6-inch to 2.4-inch
- It is a 3-in-1 functioning mower (works as a mower, trimmer, and edger)
- Works on the automatic feed Spool system
- Cord retention system prevents accidental disconnections
- Doesn’t come with an extension cord
- Has a small cutting path of 12-inches
- Customer reviews suggest that the mowing deck is very fragile
6. GreenWorks 27022
This GreenWorks dethatcher and scarifier come in two variants – the 10-amp and the 40V. You can also opt for either the corded one, the battery and charger included one or opt for only the tool.
This mower has a powerful and robust 10-amp motor, which is ergonomic and comes with a padded grip that has an adjustable handle to provide the user with an extra level of comfort. It can do a 14-inch dethatching path that helps to get your work done smoothly and easily.
- This mower has a 3-position tine depth adjustment that provides the user with greater control by helping to remove the matted layers and to promote continuous improvement in the health of the lawn. Its stainless steel tines ensure the sharpness of the blades longer and ensure overall reliability and also come with a full set of replacement tines with a total of 18 tines.
- AWG or wire gauze of at least 14 is recommended for the extension cord measuring 50 feet in length or less. Keep in mind that an undersized cord will lead to a drop in line voltage and will result in overheating as well as the loss of power.
- It runs on a powerful 10-amp motor
- It has 3-position tine depth adjustment
- Has stainless steel tines and comes with a full set of replacement tines as well (a total of 18 tines)
- Has a 14-inch deck
- According to past users, this mower doesn’t have a promise on longevity
- Customer support isn’t up to the mark
7. GreenWorks Pro
Another brilliant mower from the house of Greenworks to feature in our list of some of the best self-propelled lawn mowers under 300, this is also available in the push variant, and you can opt to buy this mower with either 2 x 2Ah batteries or with a single 4Ah battery or simply the tool.
This mower has a brilliant 60-minute run time with a single full charge using the 4 Ampere Hour battery. This particular model includes – a 4Ah battery as well as a charger. It has an overall cutting height of – 1 to 3/8 (maximum) and 3 to ¼ (minimum). This Greenworks brushless motor provides the user with a tool that has an overall longer run-time as well as more torque and power. This, in turn, leads to less wear and tear and provides for an extended lifetime of the mower.
- This mower comes with a Smart Cut Load technology and has a versatile 3-in-1 discharge system that allows for rear discharge, side discharge as well as mulching, making it an ideal buy. It also has a rapid charge of 30-minute at 80-volts, 2Ah battery, and 60-minute charge at 80-volts and 4Ah battery. Its compatible battery and charger models are – GBA80200, GCH8040, and GBA80400.
- It has a 3-in1 discharge system – providing for – mulching, side discharge, and rear discharge
- Has rapid charging
- Has a whopping 60-minute run time in one single complete charge
- Has a large 21-inch deck
- Comes with a 4Ah battery and charger
- According to past users, it has a terrible customer service team
- Battery life might not be as good as promised
8. Worx WG779
This 40V powerful mower from the house of Worx is available in two variants – one which has the charger and two 20V batteries included and one which has the charger and two 20V batteries being sold separately.
- The 40V maximum power comes from dual 20V power share batteries that ensure the best possible performance is given to the mower. Its patented intellicut technology ensures delivery of power on demand that helps to save your battery for when it is really needed. It has padded foam handles that provide for a comfortable grip that ensures a reduction in fatigue when cutting.
- This mower has a single lever adjustment that lets you select between three different cutting heights and mows up to a whopping 5,500 square feet on a single charge. This mower includes a dual-port charger that has battery power level indicators.
- Provides maximum power of 40V with the help of dual 20V power share batteries
- Has a single lever adjustment that helps to choose between three different cutting heights
- Can cut up to 5,500 square feet in on a single charge
- Has padded foam handles that ensure an extra level of comfort during cutting of grass
- Comes with a dual-port charger that has battery power level indicators
- Battery life isn’t as good as has been promised
- Not suitable for stubborn grass
9. Sun Joe MJ403E
Another brilliant product from the house of Sun Joe, there are reasons aplenty due to which this mower cum mulcher features in our list of some of the best self-propelled lawn mowers under 300. For starters, it has a powerful 13-amp motor that has the ability to cut through a 17-inch wide path. Secondly, it has a tailor cutting height and has a 7-position height control.
- It can perform a convertible mulching and mowing function. It works best when the size of the yard reads between ¼ to ½ acres. It has a no-load speed of 3500 rpm and has a detachable grass collection bag that ensures easy disposal of the cut grass.
- Also, this lawnmower comes with Sun Joe’s customer promise that says that in case the product is damaged or suffers any form of wear and tear within two years from the date of purchase, they will send you a new product – no questions asked.
- It can perform convertible mulching as well as mowing function
- Has a powerful 13-amp motor that can easily cut through a 17-inch wide path
- Has a 7-position height control and tailor height cutting
- Has a no-load speed of 3500 rpm
- Works best form a yard having the size of ¼ to ½ acres
- Durability and longevity of the product as per past users is slightly doubtful
10. Black+Decker CM2043C
This cordless mower from the house of Black+Decker has two 40V max lithium-ion batteries that provide twice the run time. This 3-in-1 versatile mower provides for mulching, rear discharge as well as side discharge of the grass clippings.
- It manages to mow right up to the edges and spends very little time in trimming thanks to its edge max design. It’s one lever that manages to adjust the cutting height anywhere between 1 to ½ inches up to 4-inches without the help of any tools. It is ideal for mowing lawns, which measure up to ¼ acres. Also, it comes with a 3-year limited warranty.
- It comes with a 3-year limited warranty
- It is a 3-in-1 mower which provides for mulching, side discharge, and rear discharge
- It runs on two 40V lithium-ion charge batteries that ensure maximum run time
- Battery life is extremely underpowered, as per reviews of past users
11. Worx WG960
Another beauty from the house of Worx, this mower has three variants – 14-inches, 17-inches, and 20-inches. It includes with itself two pieces of 20V 5.0Ah Li-ion batteries that ensure an extended run time. The whole set includes a 20-inch cordless mower and cordless turbine blower.
- This mower features a patented Intellicut which provides the user with an additional torque that comes on demand, and it also has the ability to conserve battery as and when required. Its powerful blower is extremely compact as well as lightweight, and it produces up to 360 cm of air volume that can easily tackle any job. Also, this mower is part of the Worx Power Share family, whereby you can share batteries and save money.
- It is a set which consists of a 20-inch cordless mower and a cordless turbine blower
- It runs on 2-pieces of 20V 5.0Ah Li-ion batteries
- It features a patented Intellicut that provides extra torque and also works towards battery savings whenever required
- Not very durable
- Battery life might not be as promised
- Customer reviews suggest the turbine blower isn’t that great
12. Craftsman M105
Our last mower is our list of some of the best self-propelled lawn mowers under 300 is from the house of Craftsman. You can opt to buy it with the cover or without – as per your requirement. It has a 140cc OHV engine that is gas-powered and comes equipped in it with recoil as well as an auto choke. Thus, you needn’t have to worry about a primer or choke – you can simply pull start.
- This mower has 3-in-1 functional capabilities. It has a mulching, rear discharge as well as side discharge facilities. Its 21-inch thick cutting deck is extremely efficient and allows the trimming of grass in one quick single pass to allow for an easy yard job. Its dual-lever adjustable cutting height lets you choose from height settings of 6 different types, as per your needs and choice. It has zag treaded wheels that measure 7 and 8 inches in the front and rear, respectively. Finally, it includes an attached bagger that allows you to easily catch the grass clippings with ease and at your convenience.
- It is a 3-in-1 functional mower – works for mulching, rear discharge, and side discharge
- It has zag treaded tires which ensure smooth movement during use
- It has a large 211-inch cutting deck
- It has a dual-level adjustable cutting height and has six different height settings
- Doesn’t have a very efficient mower engine – as per the analysis of reviews of past users
- Has trouble working now and then (depends on the lawn)
Best Self-propelled Lawn Mowers Under $300 – The Conclusion
All the 12 self-propelled lawn mowers that have been provided above are equally good and will surely do the job you are expecting of it. Each of the mowers has its specific features as well as the pros and cons listed, to make your decision a little easy.
Each of the mowers comes from reliable companies and has something or the other, which sets them apart from the rest. Most of them are 3-in-1, so you can get the benefits of mulching, side discharge, and rear discharge in them. Although all of them have a few cons to them as well, they can be very negligible compared to the pros. Also, if you’re lucky, you might not even face the cons mentioned – because most of them have been one-off cases and might not be the same for you.
So, worry not and choose any of them because all of them are the best self-propelled lawn mower under 300 – which is why they have all appeared on our list.
We hope this buyer guide helps you to make an informed choice. Remember to check the features to consider when buying, so that you are sure when you go to purchase a mower.
1. Is It Necessary To Opt For A 3-in-1 Mower?
Ans. No, it isn’t necessary to opt for a 3-in-1 mower, but it is suggested that you go for one because then you can enjoy the benefits of mulching, rear discharge as well as side discharge in one single mower.
2. Should I Consider Additional Features As Well, When Going To Buy A Self-propelled Lawn Mower?
Ans. It is suggested that you overlook any unnecessary features because usually, they turn out to be useless and hamper the actual functions of the mower. When looking to buy a new machine, only consider the features which are necessary and try to overlook the rest.
3. Does The Price Determine How Good The Mower Will Be?
Ans. Although it is often said that the more expensive, the better it will be, which might not always stand true. You can get an equally good product if not better, at a much lower price, which is why our list contains some of the best self-propelled lawn mowers under 300 to get you started!
4. Is A Gas-powered Mower A Better Option Than A Battery-powered One?
Ans. This depends on your use and upon the size of your lawn as well as its requirements. A battery-powered one is considered better, especially if the batteries are rechargeable because then a single charge allows you to get almost all your work done. A gas-powered mower is usually a little difficult to buy, and maintaining it can be a slight hassle, which is why most people opt for the battery-powered ones.