|1. Black Decker MTC220||2. Worx WG163||3. Black Decker MTE912|
A string trimmer, is popularly known as a “Weed Wacker” or “weed eater,” although these are scientific names; it is a perfect compliment to a lawnmower.
It is a necessary lawn tool to get accustomed to the growing requirements of technology for the smooth and hassle-free completion of our daily work, be it household or an on-field job. The best lawn trimmer be a great advantage for your gardening work.
In this tech competing world, one needs to open all their senses to choose the right tools for the right job without regret. Knowing your device and area of use goes hand in hand.
Coming back to our product; here in this article, we are going to discuss how to make the right choice for the best lawn trimmer so that you can tread over some soft green grass and give yourself happy feet.
Types Of Lawn Trimmers
It is essential to know your tool thoroughly before you buy. Tallying your area of requirement with the functions of the device is necessary for the buyer. There are four common varieties of lawn trimmers available in the market: gas-powered, corded string trimmers, cordless electric, and string trimmer mower.
Each model has its pros and cons. The model that is perfect for you depends on the condition and size of your yard, and how often you will use the tool. We are here to guide to how to end up choosing the best lawn trimmers out of many.
1. Gas-Powered Models
If you have tall grass and vast lawns, you’ll want something sturdy. Gas string trimmers fit that bill. As an added benefit, these models have longer runtimes and better mobility, compared to a corded unit. Most models will feature a pull cord to start the machine and have a large cutting swath (16 to 18 inches).
They’re typically less than 13 pounds, but heavier compared to electric units. With this type of grass trimmer, you’ll need to make sure you’re using the right fuel for the tool to work correctly – as it produces exhaust emissions. While it won’t be as bad as models from years before, it’s still something to consider if you want something eco-friendly.
When choosing a gas-powered model, you’ll need to consider the power output, which is measured as cubic centimetres (cc). You’ll also need to consider the type of engine used. 2-cycle engines. 4-cycle drivers are perfect for jungle-type lawns and will run on gasoline alone.
2. Corded String Trimmers
Corded grass trimmers are less complicated than gas-powered models. They’re easier to start by just by pushing a button. They’re also much quieter and cleaner to operate.
They follow easy maintenance rules. Among all three types, corded models tend to be the most affordable. They also weigh less. However, your mobility is limited with a corded grass trimmer, so this is more ideal for trimming a small work area.
Besides, if your lawn has several trees and other obstacles, a corded unit may be challenging to manoeuvre. The power output of a corded unit is measured in amps (A). For a regular suburban yard, a 3-amp unit or more is powerful enough to get the job done, if you’ve got the outlets and extension cord to use it.
3. Cordless Grass Trimmers
Cordless units, like its corded counterparts, are easier to use and maintain. They’re quieter and run cleaner. One benefit of getting a battery-powered model is that it has the same mobility as a gas-powered model. However, it will have a shorter runtime, since it runs on batteries.
The best part is that there is no need to worry about outlets and extension cords or mixing fuel to get the machine working. All that is needed to do is to make sure the battery is fully charged before use. Speaking of charging, units will differ in their battery charging times.
Some will charge fast in 30 minutes, while others can go up to 3 hours. The power output indicator for cordless units is volts – so try to look for a unit that has 40-80 volts to get more power and longer runtime. It is recommended that you keep a spare battery as a standby.
4. String Trimmer Mower
This is a special type of grass trimmer. It looks like a lawnmower where you walk behind the unit as it trims. The difference is that it features strings, instead of blades and will help you trim hard-to-reach areas that your regular mower can’t get to.
This is also a gas-powered model and will provide you with more power and mobility. Compared to a handheld gas-powered unit, a string trimmer mower will be able to work more efficiently when trimming an extensive cutting area. The main disadvantage of getting a modellike this is that it is expensive.
How To Make A Lawn Trimmer Last Long?
The average lifespan of a string trimmer varies greatly based on how often it is used, the scope of the demands placed on it, and how it has been cared for. To ensure that your model lasts, make sure to follow the general maintenance and upkeep guidelines as described in your user manual by the manufacturer.
The first thing you need to do, is either run your tool until the gas tank is empty and it dies on its own. Next, you need to clean the fuel tank with a metal brush and a rag. Once your tank is clean, you should replace the fuel filter on the end of the fuel line.
Now you must clean the rest of your tool. Use your brush away the debris or grass clippings from the cutting head, air vents, and air filter cover. Lastly, store your weed whacker in a dry place, so that damp air doesn’t damage the tool’s internal engine components.
Also, make sure that you use an appropriate extension cord if you are using a corded model, since this will prevent the motor from burning out.
Making The Best Out Of A Lawn Trimmer
Take note of the pointers to make the best out of your lawn trimmer.
1. Power Source
Cordless models run on rechargeable lithium-ion batteries and allow you to use your tool without being tethered to a power cord. Hence, in all probability, the batteries will exhaust.
Keeping a spare rechargeable battery as a standby is a good way to resolve that problem. On the other hand, if you use a gas trimmer, then you must keep enough fuel to last for your work at one go.
2. Cutting Width
The second factor is the cutting width that the trimmer provides. The size of the cutting diameter directly translates to how wide a cutting the trimmer can make.
If you have a small yard and tight spaces, then the compact width is perfect. But if you have a large property and are looking for efficient performance, a model that has a cutting width of at least 16″ is recommended.
3. Shaft Style
Trimmers come with three shaft options: straight, curved, and adjustable. A straight shaft trimmer is best for trimming tight spaces due to its inline design. A curved shaft trimmer allows you to guide it into the tightest spots with ease.
Both curved and straight shaft models often come with an adjustable shaft feature. This allows you to change the working height of your tool and is highly recommended, as it allows you to get to the spots that you normally couldn’t reach.
4. Single Or Dual-Feed Line
String trimmers are designed with either a single or dual-feed line. Single-line heads allow for easier winding when installing a new trimming line and are perfect for small gardens and lawns. But a dual-line is recommended, since these tools cut twice with each revolution, which cuts larger properties faster.
A major factor that needs to be considered is the weight of your trimmer. Since you are going to be carrying it around your yard, you need a tool that is practical to carry. Gas-powered trimmers tend to be heaviest on the market, but offer the most power.
Corded models can be as light, but have a limited work range. A cordless trimmer is one of the best options since it leverages impressive cutting power in a model that is heavier than a corded tool, but considerably lighter than a gas model.
Going through a thorough comparative study of a variety of lawn trimmers, we have showcased an easy guide for you to buy the one that is best for your lawn, which will also cater to your question – what is the best lawn trimmer for the money?
By following the best-rated lawn trimmers by the customers, you can also check up with the briefing of the basic features, price, and the pros/cons of the machines, so that you choose the appropriate and the best grass trimmer as per your requirement.
Top 19 Best Lawn Trimmers In 2021
1. Black Decker MTC220 3-In-1
This product weighs 14.2 pounds. It is a perfect all-rounder.
- AFS automatic feed system ensures continuous work without bumping and having to stop.
- The ideal Property Size 750 ft². Power Drive Transmission prevents bogging down.
- Cutting heights: 1.6 to 2.4 inches. It has an adjustable height deck & trimmer and pivoting handle.
- Charge Time at 60% 2.5 hrs.
- Cordless 3 in 1 trimmer/edger and mower includes two 20-volt MAX lithium-ion rechargeable batteries.
- Easy to use and manoeuvre.
- The battery-powered eliminates the need for gas or oil to be stored.
- A foot pedal release allows for quick insertion and removal of the trimmer/edger as you move from mowing to trimming or edging.
- The mower deck also features two height adjustment options that raises or lowers all four wheels.
- Requires stand-by batteries.
This is by far the best cordless lawn trimmer. It is advisable to buy this all in one lawn trimmer at a reasonable price for both heavy and low duty work. This can be used for bigger and smaller areas with less hassle and easy manoeuvring.
2. Worx WG163
The 2-in-1 GT quickly converts from a trimmer to an inline wheeled edger and back again. The Command Feed spool system gives you a line when you want it, at the press of a button. The price is affordable, and the weight is 6lbs.
- The specifications are 7600 rpm with no-load speed and 12″ cutting diameter.
- The machine weighs 5.3 lbs with 10′ cutting line length, 0.065″ line diameter
- Rubberized wheels support and guide the edger, giving you straighter lines and cleaner cuts.
- The head tilts 90 degrees. So you can trim and edge on sloped terrain, and get to tough-to-reach places.
- The spacer guard is adjustable, so you don’t damage plants, landscape features, and lawn ornaments while you’re trimming.
- Being a cordless trimmer, the only problem lies with the quick draining of batteries.
Save your money and don’t buy a separate trimmer and edger. Apart from buying extra batteries, this product is a smart buy at a reasonable rate.
3. Black Decker MTE912
This product is a lawn mower, string trimmer, and edger in a single package. Offering the ultimate in a small yard and garden versatility, the innovative trimmer/edger and mower gives you three types of landscaping functionality in a single, compact tool. The weight of the product is 13.1 lbs.
- It is a great solution for homes with limited storage space.
- The mower deck also features two height adjustment options that raises or lowers all four wheels.
- Foot pedal release for the quick change.
- The 12-inch trimmer/edger features a gear-driven transmission to maintain constant speed that will not bog down while trimming, and an AFS Auto Feed System for continuous and automatic line advancement without the need for bumping.
- The 6.5 Amp motor provides maximum performance.
- It also offers a lightweight, ergonomic design with adjustable height and handle positions, which provide maximum comfort and control.
- Gear Drive transmission prevents bogging down.
- It does not come with an extension power cord.
It is a good and handy choice for an all-rounder work for your small lawn. It is also great at manoeuvring and comes with an easy guide. The gripping is very stable, and the weight keeps the balance well.
4. Greenworks 21332
This unit has a one-touch conversion button for easy trimming at multiple angles and an edging wheel for clean, precise edging. The product weighs 5.6 lbs.
- High-Performance G-MAX 40V Lithium-Ion Battery delivers fade-free power with no memory loss after charging.
- The 13-inch cutting path is provided for quick and easy, powerful results to cut through the toughest weeds.
- It has 0.065-inch single line auto feed for fast results.
- Versatile design, with a 3-position pivoting head for easy trimming at multiple angles.
- 90-degree rotating head-head with edging wheel, for walk behind edging for versatile use.
- Batteries are not provided with a pack
This product is noise-free and smoothly manoeuvrable. Also, it is not heavy and has special features to relieve the stress of the user.
5. Black Decker LSTE523
This product is manufactured in China. The weight is 6.3 lbs.
- The product includes a 20V Max extended run time lithium battery, charger, AFS Spool, & guard.
- The 3.0 Ah battery comes with a 400mA charger, whereas the normal charger is 200 mA. So if you wanted a higher capacity battery to use for other devices like a leaf blower/sweeper, this is the model to get.
- The unit takes 0.065 string and comes with a small spool of clear trimmer line.
- Easily converts from trimmer to wheeled edger.
- Features a power drive transmission, which increases torque & 2-speed control to choose between more power or extended run time.
- Adjustable height & handle with micro-texture soft grip.
- The battery drains out in 5-20 minutes.
The cordless concept gives you a lot of freedom. The low power setting is fine for most of the trimming and even some of the edging. This is a good product to buy for both light and heavy-duty work.
6. Black Decker LSTE525
- It features the Power Drive Transmission, which increases torque for more cutting power at the string, and the 2-speed control lets you choose between more power or extended runtime.
- It easily converts from a trimmer to wheeled edger.
- It has a premium micro texture soft grip that provides comfort and control while using the tool, with adjustable height and handles for ideal user comfort.
- The specifications are: Cutting swath of 12 inches; Line Size – 0.065 inches; RPM – 5,500/7,200;
- Replacement Spool – AF-100. The maximum initial battery voltage without a workload is 20 volts, while the nominal voltage is 18.
- Interchangeable cordless battery.
- This unit features EASY FEED, which allows you to advance your line with the push of a button with no bumping required.
- Due to the exertion of a lot of pressure, the battery lasts for less than 30 minutes, so here a stand by the battery is essential.
Compared to the extra features provided, this trimmer is pocket friendly and powerful. It would be advisable to keep at least two standby charged batteries, as this machine can take up a lot of work, but at the same time exhausts its battery in no time.
7. Greenworks 21142
Lightweight and simple electric start with cord lock feature make this trimmer are easy to use. It cheap and weighs 9.9lbs.
- It has a variable trigger speed.
- When using string trimmer attachments for this lawn trimmer, use only the 0.080-inch diameter line.
- It comes with 10Amp motor with a straight shaft and 0.080 dual-line bump feed. The large 18″ cutting path helps speed up the trimming process.
- Lightweight and simple electric start with cord lock feature makes it easy to use.
- Large 18″ cutting path helps speed up the trimming process.
- Cushion and over-mould grip and handle provide comfort to the user with auxiliary handle for more control while trimming.
- Quick-connect coupler allows for easy attachment changes and fits various name brands.
- It is backed with four years warranty.
- There is a lack of replacement spools.
This product is user-friendly and reduces pressure on the user at a great level, and at the same time, it also gives an excellent outcome.
8. Black Decker LCC221
No bumping, no stooping, this string trimmer and hard surface sweeper combo kit allows you to trim, edge and sweep for a neatly groomed look. This unit weighs 10.65 pounds.
String trimmer features an Automatic Feed Spool and uses 20V MAX Lithium-Ion 1.5Ah battery.
The sweeper is ideal for clearing driveways, sidewalks, decks, garages.
- Well manoeuvrable – even though it weighs 10 pounds.
- Low noise levels.
- It takes hours to recharge the battery.
- Good for light duty in small areas.
It is a smart combo buy for an affordable rate. If you have a small garden and garage or lawn, then this is an advisable option. All the battery charged trimmers require more or less an extra standby battery. So that is a natural thing for such units.
9. Dewalt DCST920B
This trimmer provides precise power control with a variable speed trigger, as well as performance and runtime management with the Hi/Lo speed control switch. The brushless motor maximizes motor efficiency and durability. The weight is 8.5 lbs., the string trimmer is easy to manoeuvre and puts less stress on the user.
- Product arrives in two pieces and requires to be assembled.
- The device is of 0-4,600 / 0-6,000 rpm.
- It has a patented gear drive design, with a 20V MAX 5.0Ah battery and provides more torque.
- It maintains cut speed under load, while the dual 0.080″ line with bump feed clears a full 13 inches.
- Easy on the ears of the user
- Low maintenance product.
- Battery and charger are sold separately. There is an extra expense to this only body product.
The weight becomes an important factor, and this unit is heavy to use, but is stable while using. You need to buy a charger and batteries along with an extra standby set, as the charge wears out within a few minutes.
10. Greenworks 21342
- The machines have 12-inch cut path with 0.065 single line auto feed for easy line advance.
- The shaft length is 40 inches.
- The drive shaft-type is telescopic.
- The electric start eliminates gas hassle, ensures less maintenance and zero fumes.
- There is smooth operation with less noise.
- It is easily manoeuvrable, and that gets your job easily done.
- There are technical issues regarding the auto-feed string, faced by many users.
The product is compatible with smaller areas. Due to heavy lifting issues, it becomes uncomfortable for long time use – even though the grip is tight. For best results, your battery tool should be charged in a location where the temperature is more than 45-degree Fahrenheit, but less than 104-degree Fahrenheit.
11. Black Decker LST201
This unit is designed for areas of overgrowth after mowing, and for edging of grass around borders, walkways and posts. It easily converts from trimmer to wheeled edger. It weighs 4.5 pounds.
- The features include: Cut Swath – 10 inches, Line Size – 0.065 in, RPM – 9,000, Replacement Spool – AF-100.
- The maximum initial battery voltage without a workload is 20V. Nominal voltage is 18.
- It helps to trim overgrown grasses and precision-edge sidewalks. With this, you can make a well groomed lawn with little effort.
- Can convert from trimmer to wheeled edger easily.
- Has adjustable height and handle for ideal user comfort.
- The 20V Max Lithium-Ion 1.5Ah battery holds a charge for up to 18 months.
- Heavy-duty chopping can be very messy if done with this unit.
- The instruction provided by the manufacturer is not so clear for most of the customers, which can be an issue for easy use and storage.
The directions in the manual provided by the manufacturer are a bit text-heavy and muddled with warnings. Anyway, it is an overall smart buy for small areas and can be used by senior persons as well due to its lightweight.
12. Earthwise LST02010
This is a powerful cordless lawn trimmer with high run time. It weighs 4lbs. it is a cordless, battery-powered trimmer and requires no gas or oil, resulting in no fumes and no mess.
Comes with a powerful 20-Volt 2.0Ah lithium-ion battery and fast charger.
Its powerful brushless motor for superior power has high runtime and durability.
It also has 10″ cutting width with auto-feed, spool and 0.065″ nylon line.
It’s adjustable handle and telescopic pole allows users to adjust the length of the shaft for comfortable trimming.
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Backed up 2-year tool and 1-year battery warranty by the manufacturer.
- Ergonomic rubber over-molded handle with full grip trigger and safety switch.
- The batteries exhaust in less than half an hour.
For the price, you are not going to get anything better. If you leave the battery in the charger, it will be near death, if not in use it within a day. It is a cheap and smart buy for small area work and light duty.
13. Ego Power ST1501-S
The first-ever 56-Volt Lithium-Ion battery and a new, high-efficiency brushless motor delivers unrivalled cordless power without the noise, fuss and fumes. It weighs 9lbs.
- It has a 15 inches cutting swath and extended aluminium shaft that guarantees you with high quality trimming of your yard.
- The advanced EGO POWER 56V battery uses industry-leading Arc-Lithium technology to deliver power beyond belief. Comes with dual-feed twist line with 0.095 in. diameter.
- Weather-resistant construction
- Contains a variable speed trigger
- Has extended aluminium shaft with an inline grip
- This equipment comes with a 5-year limited warranty and a 3-year limited warranty on battery packs and chargers.
- The charger has a cooling fan to prevent overheating.
- The size of the equipment is a bit large.
- It is an expensive product.
This is overall a good buy, if you are willing to spend a fortune for your grass trimmer. It is advisable to use it on big lawns, and not just small lawns. This might need a full-grown well-built adult to handle it. So, who is going to use is a big factor to consider before investing in this product.
14. Black Decker ST8600
This heavy-duty lawn trimmer/edger weighs 5.35lbs. Gives performance to power through the toughest weeds, grass and overgrowth with a 5.0 AMP motor and power drive transmission.
The Automatic Feed Spool AFS automatically feeds the trimmer line as needed. It has an adjustable height and pivoting handle positions. The edge guide provides precise edging with 7700 rpm.
Prevent accidental cord disconnection as you work with the cord retention system.
It is a lightweight tool which is easy to operate without any helping hand.
It is difficult to grab the handle as the product is pretty tight.
The trimmer is efficient for extensive use, but comes with some technical glitches. It has an easy pre-wound line to snap on and does a super job on tall and short growth.
15. Greenworks STBA40B210
It is a combo pack designed for ease of use and comfortable operation – without the hassle of gas; this trimmer cost 174.99 weighing 7.72lbs.
- This 12-inch cordless string trimmer features a front mount motor for optimum balance.
- Lightweight and more comfortable to use, it has a variable speed trigger for power on demand, 0.065-line diameter auto-feed head for easy line advancement.
- The 40V axial blower features a variable speed trigger and cruise control for optimized control. With 110 MPH and 390 CFM, blowing leaves has never been so easy.
- Compatible batteries currently include a 2AH and 4AH battery and charger.
- It is lightweight and easy to use.
- The product comes in a combo pack; so, there is no extra buy or hassling for different lawn equipment.
- The advertisement doesn’t tell you which replacement spool you need.
Since it is a combo pack, there is an advantage of getting all the lawn equipment together, but there is a disadvantage while hunting for separate spare parts, especially when the customer care service has a slow or poor response.
16. Worx WG154
It is a compact & lightweight cordless trimmer that quickly converts from a trimmer to an edger & vise-versa. This trimmer weighs 6lbs with a size of 10 inches.
- There is a one-touch easy, no-tool conversion to go from one function to the other.
- The trimmer runs on a 20V lithium battery for longer run time & has a fixed front handle for comfort & control.
- It has an adjustable cutting width from 10″ to 12″ for extended run time & cutting path. The folding spacer
- guard helps protect flowers & ornamental landscaping.
- Fixed ergonomic front handle for maximum control.
- Provides 100% automatic single line feed.
- Has rotating heads for easy edger conversion.
- This cannot be used for hard work.
- The battery lasts less than expected.
Being a lightweight product, it is recommended to be used only for soft regular grasses and not overgrown ones. Keeping a spare battery while purchasing this product is advisable.
17. Black Decker BESTA510
This corded electric trimmer weighing 7 pounds and has a size of 14 inches. With the edging wheel, you can put the finishing touches on the edges of your lawn around driveways, sidewalks, and flower beds.
This electric lawn trimmer has Automatic Feed Spool technology that eliminates bumping for more string, and a cord retention system helps prevent accidental disconnection while working. It is a 6.5A electric string trimmer with 8000 RPM. This product is manufactured in China.
- This trimmer is lightweight and therefore, has the right balance while in use.
- It can cut through difficult grasses in the corner.
- It’s not made for clear-cutting swamps and underbrush. It’s for home lawn and landscaping service.
- The plug on this trimmer is recessed, and most 3-prong extension cords will not fit into the recession.
Although this trimmer provides all-rounder traits; it is advisable to go slow with this trimmer while using it; as the lightweight might affect the machine, if forced on harsh bushes and overgrowths.
18. Ukoke U02TE
This affordable lawn trimmer weighs 7.15 pounds. It can easily be converted from a trimmer to an inline edger in seconds with no tools. The pivoting head allows for edging and trimming capability with edging wheels.
- This cordless cutter has 9″ cutting swath with a spool: ¼ inch and Φ 0. 065-inch line diameter.
- The No-Load speed is 8000/min. Has AFS Automatic feed Spool. Supports 2. 0 Ah 20V battery.
- The approximate running time is 30mins. It has a telescopic handle of Aluminum(900-1120mm).
- The cutting head can be adjusted to a different angle.
- 2 Support Roller Wheels makes your work (both edging and trimming) even more precise and smooth.
- Provides an automatic single line feed for best cutting performance.
- It has Power Drive Transmission for increased rotating performance.
- It’s durable & safe-dual start protection switch eliminates the danger of accidental start-up.
- There is a constant complaint regarding defects in the sprayer, which takes a lot of hassle to exchange by the manufacturer.
The product is no doubt, lightweight and durable enough for a medium-sized lawn. Even though there are technical problems, the manufacturer has a very effective and quick response from their end.
19. Worx WG184.9
This product weighs 9 lbs; the size of which is 13 inches. This trimmer has the ability to switch between trimming and inline wheeled edging quickly. This 2-in-1 design can provide exceptional results for any yard.
- The 13″ lawn trimmer combines two 20V Power Module batteries, to deliver 40V Power and Performance.
- There is a gas like variable speed control for additional runtime.
- The push-button rotating handle converts from trimmer to inline wheeled edging
- Has an accessory wheel storage
- Has innovative command feed spool system for instant line feeding
- The pivoting cutting head and straight shaft design can tackle any terrain
- This model is a tool-only model. The batteries and charger are sold separately.
- Not feasible for larger areas.
The product is a lightweight product, but there is an additional expense for the batteries and chargers and spare batteries. It is suitable for small home lawns, where you require a less time-consuming cutting. It also comes with a pocket-friendly charge.
Best Lawn Trimmer – Your Pick?
Juggling through a lot of products, we have managed to give you a perfect idea regarding lawn trimmers. The products of different brands with different specifications and features have held on to the fact that you must choose something affordable and something that can cater to a maximum of your requirements.
It takes a lot of hard work to maintain the green foliage you have in front or at the back of your house. It is crucial to keep your lawn or garden beautiful and healthy. Hence, the use of a lawn trimmer is essential for the overgrowth of weeds and tall wild grasses.
We have checked through the pros and cons, and we have given you a clear idea through the list of the top 19 best lawn trimmers, so that you can choose the best electric lawn trimmer or a cordless one for that matter.