Today there is a great need for experienced gardening that can be only provided by the best hedge trimmer you can purchase. These tools are strong enough to cut branches and small bushes that overgrow in your backyard.
However, there are times when you need to know more about their functioning. The best hedge trimmers are motor machines that operate with electric power or gas. This gives them enough torque to cut virtually any plant that doesn’t fit the aesthetic of your garden.
Lately, there is no specific need to have professional knowledge over these devices. However, most of them come with specific manuals and can even include videos. This is a good practice for the customers to know the safe use of the hedge trimmer.
This review is about the most competent hedge trimmers that you can find readily available online. You certainly know that there are both advantages and drawbacks to their regular use, and we will try to analyze them thoroughly.
Also, you need to realize that it’s an investment of your money and time. Your garden is going to look clean and neat for your friends to visit. Then, you are going to feel safer inside the garden since lots of pesticides are discouraged to keep on living there.
What Is A Hedge Trimmer?
A hedge trimmer is a particular type of saw that is made for small plants and bushes. This can be used for some trees as well, at least the ones that have lighter wooden branches. The hedge trimmer works either with electricity or using an internal combustion engine.
Most of them have a remote usage and can even work on battery mode for your ease. However, you need to know that the more remote the hedge trimmer is, the less powerful it gets. Some of the hedge trimmers are operated through a unique handle that keeps your grip safe.
These tools usually have a special blade sequence that rotates to cut all the small branches and leaves you need to remove. The best hedge trimmer is the one that you can easily carry and operate with gas, so there is no need for power cables.
Additionally, hedge trimmers are necessary for decorative gardening. There is no chance you can give an appealing shape to your bushes if you don’t use such machines. They are typically safe to use and have new mechanisms to reduce the possibility of getting injured.
Finally, these machines are used to open a pathway through a dense forest. On special occasions, they have helped people find their way in the woods and come back to safety. Only hedge trimmers can do such a fantastic job with plants!
Factors To Consider When Buying Best Hedge Trimmer
When you have realized which one would be the best hedge trimmer for your case, then you must create a checklist. There are multiple factors to consider before you proceed to the purchase. The following list will give you a perfect idea in case you want to get yourself the most competent hedge trimmer.
1. Electric Or Gas Powered
This is a significant classification of the hedge trimmers since their motors are entirely different. You need to know the exact power source of your hedge trimmer to see if it can work in higher RPM and cut the bigger branches.
Various types of trimmers have different motors and use other power sources. Electric hedge trimmers are usually weaker and have the mobility limitation of the power cable.
Some of them also have an inbuilt battery, but it cannot give enough torque to cut bigger branches or leaves.
The primary type remains the gas-powered hedge trimmers that have an internal combustion engine. These are incredibly portable and can provide enough torque to cur virtually anything in your backyard.
2. Type Of Blade
Some of the essential hedge trimmers are having a single-sided blade that can rotate and cut grass and leaves only from one side. However, modern and more powerful hedge trimmers have a double-sided blade that cuts from both sides.
This is extremely important if you want to do your job faster and more efficiently. You are making at least half the time cutting the same number of bushes and branches with the double-sided trimmer.
Also, the gap between the bladed plays a crucial role as well. Heavier tasks require less gap; however, cutting with larger gaps turns out to be safer and simple.
3. Overall Length Of The Trimmer
There are various lengths for the hedge trimmers starting from 18 inches and going up to 24 inches. The tallest ones are those who have a higher chance of working overhead. The shortest ones are those who are better for backyards and fences.
4. Level Of Noise When Functioning
Internal combustion motors give out a loud noise, which may disturb your neighbors when you are operating your hedge trimmer. However, this has improved in recent years with the addition of special insulation to the external shell of the device. In general, electric hedge trimmers are by far less noisy than their gas motor counterparts.
5. After Sales Service And Warranty
It is essential to have some maintenance and service schedule by the seller when you are buying a hedge trimmer. Sometimes this is accompanied by a generous limited warranty that gives you a lot of incentives to buy this specific product. Modern hedge trimmer brands are competing in this area to increase their sales among professionals.
Top 20 Best Hedge Trimmers 2020
1. Black Decker LHT2220B 20-Inch
This is one of the most reliable tools that you can find online. Black and Decker have always been the company that presented adequate solutions to the public. This is one of the best hedge trimmers now available on the market.
It is equipped with a powerful motor that works in a 20V tension and a lithium-ion battery. This is the perfect combination to get since you can work for 8 hours with no need to recharge the batteries.
There is an ergonomic handle to give you an ideal grip. An automatic stop mechanism exists to protect you from severe injuries in case you lose your grip on the tool.
- Shaped well to fit in every trunk
- Lightweight design to work overhead
- Perfect handle to feel comfortable and secure at the same time
- There is no money-back guarantee that comes with the hedge trimmer
- Suitable only for light yard tasks
2. Black Decker LHT2436 24-Inch
This electric hedge trimmer has changed the rules in the market. It has an enhanced battery tension of 40V that makes it differ from all others. It comes in a stylish orange color for everybody to see it from a longer distance.
Its dual-sided blades are rotating at higher speeds to give you the chance to perform heavy tasks. Also, the 24-inch blade length allows you to cut plants that are at a higher level. Its battery lasts a lot longer than the average in class and is more independent than it seems to be.
- Perfect grip to keep you always safe
- The battery can charge quicker than others
- Blades are easily removed and replaced
- No need of extra oiler
- Not available in all regions
3. Greenworks 22272 20-Inch
This is a great hedge trimmer from Greenworks that is an innovative brand, bringing new air in the market. This is one of the best hedge trimmers readily available for online purchase.
Its distinctive characteristic is the shaft extension that can help you trim plants 6 feet above your eye level. The light green color that covers its outer surface gives you the chance to feel as if you were inside the forest.
The hedge trimmer comes with a set of rechargeable batteries and a special charger that can give you extra quick charging cycles. It is a single-sided blade trimmer, however, a sturdy one adequate for home use.
- Consumes significantly less power to function
- Comes with a generous limited guarantee
- Has an excellent after-sales service network
- Comfortable handle is there to keep it always by your side
- Makes a lot of noise besides the electric motor
4. Dewalt DCHT820P1 Hedge Trimmer
DeWalt has consistently been producing state-of-the-art hedge trimmers that are durable and extremely portable. This model is great for home gardening since it has a less powerful motor than others in the same category.
However, it is the most lightweight tool you have ever seen, and you can even perform cutting tasks single-handed. It is an affordable hedge trimmer made in China, meeting all higher industry standards.
It has a powerful 20V battery delivering constant currency to operate its motor. Charging is completed in a matter of a few hours and can support continuous operation for more than 8 hours. This is the hedge trimmer of choice of all beginner gardeners.
- Lightweight design
- Battery capacity is at a high level
- Double-sided blade for the perfect cut
- Soft handle to give you extra safety and comfort
- Battery and charger are not included in the same package
5. Greenworks HT04B00 22-Inch Corded
This lightweight tool is from Greenworks that is always producing quality products for its clients. This tool ranks high in the list of the best hedge trimmers now available for online purchase.
It has a perfect style giving you much freedom when you are performing gardening tasks. You can even benefit from the protective shield that is mounted on the blade base. It prevents chopped sticks from the plant cutting to reach your hands.
It has a 4amp electric motor that cooperates well with a higher capacity battery. The 22-inch high blade component can help you reach the most distant plants in your garden— an excellent solution for home use that will make you a proud and competent gardener.
- Extremely easy to operate
- Its performance is consistent
- It has an extension cord to reach distant power sources
- The longer cable can give a hard time to remote users
- Battery often needs replacement when overheated
6. Greenworks 22-Inch Corded
This is the evolved model that has been replacing the earlier versions of Greenworks hedge trimmers. One of the best hedge clippers you could find online and be readily available for immediate delivery to you.
Greenworks has been producing this model to give you some extra independence when working on gardening tasks. However, its motor is not powerful enough to deliver proper results.
The 22-inch length blade can make you cut the higher edges of your bushes and plants. Not to mention that the handle is covered with foamy material that gives you a better grip and absorbs the sweat to feel safe all the time.
Thus, this is the perfect lightweight hedge trimmer that is nothing less than the other models in the same category.
- Green color gives you style when gardening
- Long-lasting battery
- The charger can connect both to AC and DC
- Doesn’t come with a limited guarantee
- It is not suitable for use under heavy rain
7. Black Decker BEHT100
Black and Decker have been presenting this hedge trimmer model for the public of the beginner gardeners. It is well included in the ranking for the best hedge trimmers and can provide quality cutting when you need it.
Best for home use, it has a 3apm motor that works in higher RPM to provide enough torque and let you cut all the plants and bushes. It is an electric hedge trimmer, so you have to be aware of the special limitations of the machine.
It is lightweight, and you can carry it with you anywhere. It has a longer cord as well as a mechanism that prevents accidental falls or disruptions of functioning.
You also have a plastic protective shield close to the blade to keep your hands intact from chopping items. This machine is a perfect present for the novice gardeners.
- Uses less energy to operate
- Its battery is long-lasting
- It has a longer power cord than others in the category
- Many spare parts are available in case of malfunction
- Doesn’t work well for professional projects
8. Black Decker Cordless LHT321FF
Forget anything you knew about electric hedge trimmers. Black and Decker have been introducing this model to show that power can be inherent in electric motors if the design is right.
Coming with a 22-inch dual blade, you can be confident that all tasks are achievable in your garden. You have to charge the batteries for a couple of hours, and you are good to go.
The protective shield is in its place; you need only one single wrench to open up the motor case and fix anything you need. Even the blades are easy to remove and replace in case of malfunction.
There is no need for an automatic oiler for the blades, and you can keep on working with no hassle.
- Perfect grip giving you a unique experience in gardening
- Batteries and chargers come with the hedge trimmer
- Low vibration motor to make your job even easier
- There is virtually no noise to annoy your neighbors
- Its waterproof abilities are not a strong point
9. Worx WG255.1 Cordless Electric
WORX has been a world leader for the most affordable hedge trimmers you can find online. It is a reliable company giving you tools for your garden that can last for years with proper maintenance.
This model has an electric motor working in 20V and easily charged either with AC or DC power networks. It has a 20-inch dual cut blade that helps you cut some of the higher plants in your garden.
The protective shield is in its place to avoid hand injury, and there is also a unique gripping mechanism that can automatically stop the motor operation.
This happens if you lose your grip on the hedge trimmer and to avoid further injury. The motor has a quiet functioning and produces fewer vibrations than the other models in the same class.
- Lightweight design
- Perfect waterproof abilities
- The motor can work in higher RPM
- Batteries and charger are included
- Doesn’t come with an extra-long power cord to give you direct remote use
10. Makita XHU02Z Cordless 22″ Hedge Trimmer
All the new players in the market, like Makita, have a lot of innovations adjusted to their hedge trimmers to induce more sales. This best hedge trimmers model includes all the benefits you desire from such a device in an extremely convenient and affordable package.
The trimmer has longer than the average 22-inch dual cut blade to help you reach the most distant parts of your plants. When you need to oil and remove your blade, this can be done quickly by simply using one wrench.
It has a robust plastic cover that doesn’t leave rainwater to pass through and secures the motor. Overheating is not an option since there is a constant airflow passing through the motor to lower the temperature there. Makita offers you the perfect grip innovation, offering you a unique gardening experience.
- Charges in less than two hours
- Batteries are long-lasting and can work a full 8-hour shift
- A unique anti vibration structure is there for your ease
- Noise is less than in other competitors
- There is no limited guarantee coming with the hedge trimmer
11. Sun Joe HJ604C-RED Cordless
This is a powerful hedge trimmer that has a special shape to make it fit in less roomy places of your garden. This is a machine that you can operate single-handed and has a short blade that can alter from grass shear to hedge trimmer in a matter of seconds.
It is a special trimmer for special causes that is so lightweight you wouldn’t even believe it exists. The vibrations of the motor are non-existent, and there is virtually no noise coming from the motor.
It can charge in less than an hour and produce some of the best effects in your garden decoration. Its lightweight design can give you the chance to carry it on with you all the time.
- Extreme size can fit all places
- The lightweight design gives you the chance to have it always with you
- Easy to charge
- Perfect one-handed grip
- Not good for massive trimming
12. Greenworks 20-Inch Cordless 22242
Coming back to the powerful cordless trimmers models, this Greenworks series is among the champions of the category. Made for home users, it combines the power of a professional trimmer with the ease of use of an everyday cutter.
It operates on a 24V motor that works in high RPM to produce enough torque for your difficult backyard tasks. Also, it comes with a particular adjustable pole to help you increase the blade height and cut virtually any part of your trees or bushes.
The dual-action blade assures you that you can cut anything you want. This is a great tool to start gardening, and it has excellent features that can only be provided by Greenworks.
- Extended battery life for your ease
- Can work in AC or DC currency
- No need for power cords, the battery does the power delivery
- Easy to adjust poles and blades
- Not readily available in certain regions
13. Ukoke U01HT Cordless Electric
UKOKE has lately entered the hedge trimmers market with some incredible devices that can hit the competition. It is registered as one of the best hedge trimmers now available on the market for massive production.
It has a 20-inch dual cut blade that works with laser rays, which gives you the right direction to perform the cutting. Your gripping is even more comfortable using a special foamy material for your ease and comfort.
It comes with a plastic case that keeps it safe from mild impacts. There are also lots of spare parts to restore its functioning in case of malfunction. Blades and batteries are easy to replace with the use of a single wrench and screwdriver. This is the innovative hedge trimmer that UKOKE offers to all home gardeners.
- Less noise from the motor
- Vibrations are not an issue anymore
- Users highly appreciate cordless use
- The protective shield is always on to keep your hands safe
- No special maintenance schedule exists
14. Black Decker BEHT200 Hedge Trimmer
Another basic hedge trimmer that is great to have for your garden as a replacement for your bigger one. Black and Decker have introduced this lighter and more convenient model to give you a remote option for your hedge trimmer.
The motor operates at 20V, and it has a 3amp functioning that provides a high RPM and satisfying torque to perform plant cutting tasks. There is also a longer power cord in the box for all the people that need to work remote. However, there is also a stopping mechanism in case you step on the cable and in order not to be injured.
It is a simple double-cut blade that can easily be removed and oiled when needed. The handle is perfectly placed so that you can always have the best control over the machine— an everyday solution to your gardening tasks without investing much money.
- The longer cord gives you remote access to any part of your garden
- Less noisy motor
- Vibrations are not an issue here
- Not good for professional use
- The blade may be difficult to clean after several uses
15. Sun Joe HJ22HTE 22″ Electric
The compact yellow hedge trimmer from Sun Joe is unlike any you have seen before. It has an electric motor that works in 3.5 Amp and can offer you reliable torque to cut virtually any plant and branch in your backyard.
This machine can work in both AC and DC power networks and comes with a special plastic case that helps you to carry it on to multiple work areas securely. The 22-inch single cut blade is excellent to produce less noise and vibrations when cutting bushes but is also easy to remove and replace.
The trimmer has a waterproof ability and can easily withstand overheating using a unique airflow feature. Also, it comes with a longer cord so that you can operate it in distant remote places of your garden.
- Extreme style when cutting
- The single-cut blade has anti-rust protection
- Only one wrench needed to open the protective plastic parts
- Extremely lightweight design
- Doesn’t come with any limited guarantee plan
16. Black Decker LHT2240CFF Cordless 22-Inch
This is an option coming from Black and Decker and is about a 40V operated hedge trimmer that has shaken the world market. It is effortless to use it and carry it on with you. It comes with a special protective case that keeps it safe from mild impacts.
The 22-inch dual cut blade is the latest trend for the hedge trimmers. You can expect a professional job in your garden without the need for an expert’s advice.
There is also a cordless use of the tool that has enough battery capacity for heavy-duty gardening work. The protective shields for your hands, as well as the comfortable handles, are always on to remind you of the unique Black and Decker quality.
- Less energy needed to operate
- The dual cut blade is easy to remove and replace
- You don’t need to oil the blade that often
- A panic button is on to stop functioning when you lose grip
- Not that high to cut the upper parts of your plants
17. Greenworks 22-Inch Cordless 22232
Greenworks presents one more hedge trimmer for beginners that are looking for an easy-to-operate machine. It can perform all your garden tasks and be placed in a small and secure place to store in between cutting sessions.
It has a 22-inch dual-action steel blade that cannot rust or corrode in an external environment. You can easily remove the blade to clean it up as often as you need. There is a full cordless operation giving you the chance to work remotely using the high battery capacity, which is offered alongside the tool.
Not to mention, that this hedge trimmer has a lower level of noise and vibrations that were a constant issue for the user when performing gardening tasks.
- Lightweight design
- Protective case to store it securely
- The rear handle can rotate 180 degrees to give you a perfect touch
- Transparent hand protection shield is on
- Not all spare parts are available online
18. Black Decker LHT341FF Cordless
This is the hedge trimmer that can change your life. You can easily have it with you all the time. It needs no power cord to operate, and you can use it in any gardening tasks.
A 40V electric motor is on that works on higher RPM and producing enough torque for all persistent cuts. The batteries are long-lasting and can recharge in a matter of a few hours. You can undoubtedly be satisfied with this model.
- Extreme portability
- Easy to change blades
- Dual-cut blade for extra strength
- Less energy consuming model
- Comes only into orange color
19. Worx WG261 22-inch Cordless
WORX presents one more basic hedge trimmer that can give you a competitive advantage among home users. You don’t need much experience to use it- charge the batteries, and you will securely operate it.
The motor automatically stops when you lose grip of the tool. You can even change the blade in between the cutting sessions, with no extra tools required.
Overall, this is a great product from WORX, the leader in affordable garden tools.
- Comes with battery and charger
- Safe handle to improve your grip
- A protective shield is there to prevent hand injuries
- Can work in AC and DC mode
- No exceptional after-sales service existing for this model
20. Black Decker BEHT150 Hedge Trimmer
Last but not least, the most compact-sized hedge trimmer model comes from Black and Decker. It has been presented to give the novice audience a reliable alternative to the other companies.
It gives you quick results with the high RPM motor, and you will undoubtedly love the improved grip.
Lightweight to carry it on with you and long power cord to reach the most distant places. You will certainly not go wrong with this hedge trimmer model.
- Improved size and appearance
- Easy to change the blade
- Safety buttons are close to your hands
- The 17-inch blade is suitable for shorter bushes
- There is no limited guarantee coming with the product