If you are trying to find the best lawn seeds for growing your lawn, then you have managed to land yourself in the right place. Having the correct type of best lawn grass can be a critical factor in gardening like extending the longevity of your lawn greenery.
But with the number of choices, 13 to be precise in this piece, it can get challenging to decide. However, there is some advice that can help you streamline that decision when you are about to choose the best grass for lawn.
How To Choose The Best Lawn Grass Seed?
Here are some effective ways that will help you pick the best lawn grass seed for your lawn.
1. Narrow Down Your Choices For Lawn Seeds
Your geographical location is a significant factor that affects the way your grass is going to grow. Check the below section to understand how geographical location impacts growth of your lawn grass.
a. Northern Zone
The northern part of the US and Canada deals with moderate summers and extreme winters. Grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass, Tall Fescue and Ryegrass should be the primary choices.
b. Southern Zone
The southern Zone comes with moderate winters and sweltering summers. Naturally, grasses that thrive under warm-season should be the one you should choose. For instance, you can find grasses like St. Augustinegrass, Centipede Grass, Zoysia Grass, and Bermuda Grass. These are some of the widely known varieties that you can choose from.
c. Transition Zone
These are the regions that experience cold winters and hot summers, which is why it can be challenging to have a thriving lawn in this zone. Grasses that are suitable for cold seasons will struggle during the summer heat, while the warm-season kind, will remain brown for half of the year. However, you won’t be running out of any choice. Tall Fescue has shown a good track record of thriving in both heat and cold. Other options for the transition zone include Bermudagrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, and Zoysia Grass.
2. Consider Your Site
Think of the condition your lawn is in right now. If there aren’t any recurring challenges from which your garden suffers from, any primary grass types will give you good results. But for difficult sites, choosing grasses that require deeper shade, less water, and salty soil will be perfect for you.
a. Shaded Sites
Sites that have more shades can accommodate grasses, like fine-leaf fescues. However, in the southern region, St. Augustine and its varieties provide optimal shade tolerance. (Except the Floratam type)
b. Low-Input Areas
For areas that don’t have access to good water supply or fertilizer, Buffalo grass has proven to be quite useful. Other variants that are perfect for such conditions are fine-leaf Fescues or Centipede grass, which requires low-maintenance.
c. High Traffic Sites
Grasses like Kentucky Bluegrass or Ryegrass are best grass seed for new lawn in northern areas that have recurrent foot traffic. However, in the south, grasses like Bermuda grass are preferred for their specific ability to recover faster. Some companies pack mixes of several or selected varieties of greens that work for particular sites. Obviously, they are packing these mixes after conducting research and finding the right ratio.
d. Salty Sites
Grasses like Seashore paspalum are the best lawn seed for sites that have higher salt levels. Naturally, they are best suited for sandy or coastal sites that are affected by higher salt levels or recurrent salt sprays.
How Much Does The Variety Of Grass Matter When It Comes To Buying The Best Lawn Seed?
To summarize the answer to this query, the variety does matter a lot. Each of the species that we come across has several types. These varieties differ in color, growth rate, texture. While differences are often too subtle for normal eyes to notice, some variations do incur unseen advantages. For instance, some varieties are disease tolerant, can withstand harsh weather, or are cheaper than most. So, it is better to stick to the nuances of type if you are looking for better performance.
If you are looking for the best performance from species like Perennial Ryegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, or tall, Fescue, then make sure that you have a mix of their varieties. Even though you can create a blend of your own, it is easier to get hold of premixed packages that are correctly mixed, keeping the regions in mind.
1. Cool Season Species
Cool-season grasses can adapt to northern climates. They also function better during the fall and in the spring. Naturally, they stay green throughout the winter, where the temperature is moderate. These grass types become dormant in the northern areas. But they don’t enjoy summer at all, turning brown if they are not provided with supplemental water.
2. Kentucky Bluegrass
These are the best lawn grasses that you can come across in the lawns in the north. They are also widely planted in the West Coast and the transition zone. This species typically has a medium texture and comes with a dark color. To have the best results, you need to plant a mix of different varieties or blend it with perennial ryegrass.
3. Fine-leaf Fescue
The group also includes many species that have wispy appearances and thin-blade. These grasses are the ultimate problem solver, since they are added with seed mixes that make lawns susceptible to drought and shades. They require low-maintenance.
4. Tall Fescue
Tall Fescues can handle heat and drought very well. So, they are frequently used in most transition zones, especially in the south. However, its coarser texture makes it less attractive, but the newer variants are quite lovely.
7. Perennial Ryegrass
These grasses are dark-colored with a more delicate texture. They can also be used alone in the lawns. It combines with Kentucky Bluegrass, which also is a mixture typically preferred. Sometimes they are used for overseeding Bermudagrass species to help it retain its winter greenery.
8. Warm-Season Species
Warm-season grasses are more towards loving the heat and are well-suited for the summers that you see in the southwest and southern regions. In some areas that experience little summer rain, the species tend to become dormant even without any extra water. Many varieties need winter dormancy, as well. Some of the types are mostly unavailable as seeds and require planting as either sod or sprig.
The standard varieties of Bermudagrass are very coarse. However, the hybrid ones have a more delicate texture and help in having a beautiful lawn. Yet, the former variant can be planted right from the seed while the hybrid ones require sprigs. In the western and southern regions, the dormant bermudagrass lawns are overseeded with ryegrass during the fall to help gardens retain their winter color.
10. St. Augustine Grass
St; Augustine grass can form a lush and thick lawn with coarse-texture. They also happen to be the most commonly used lawn grass in the Gulf states. However, they do rely on summer water and have a survivable tolerance towards cold.
Zoysia grass can form a medium texture, dense turf, and can sustain itself during the harsh winters. It has more extended dormancy, but requires frequent scalping to reduce its thatch. The recovery rate of this species is slow and is not compatible with winter overseeding.
These are best used for any sites that have low-maintenance. It comes with a grayish tint with green color, but has a more delicate texture. Even though they are a warm-season grass, the buffalo grass can survive in most parts of southern Canada and the US.
They are well-adapted to the Southeastern regions. They are often labeled as the “lazy man’s grass” since they require moderate to low maintenance. However, it lacks any real dormant state. Some of the common centipedegrass are sold without any varieties included in packages.
Here are some best lawn grass seeds which you can choose from along with an overview for your further assessment.
Top 13 Best Lawn Grass Seeds of 2021
1. Telebrands Grassology LB LWN Care Lawn Seeds
Grassology provides you with gorgeous lawns that require no maintenance at all. Unlike regular grass types, they can sustain without frequent watering.
- The roots are four times deeper as opposed to ordinary grassroots. It can find its required nutrients on its own. It requires minimal mowing. It is ideally used for fixing bald patches.
- It spread pretty well and covers a large area
- It can stay green with less water
- Produces nice green outgrowth
- Quite expensive
- Doesn’t seem to grow
- Takes a lot of prep work before seeding
If you have the patience to grow grass on your lawn, but with lower maintenance, then this product might just fit the bill for you. This is one of the best choices for the best lawn seed.
2. Jonathan Green 40322 Black Beauty Ultra Grass Seed, 7 lb
This pack contains a beautiful blend of black beauty tall fescues, perennial ryegrass, and elite Kentucky bluegrass.
- It can cover areas as large as 2800 sq. ft. The grass plants of this company seed have a waxy coating.
- The coating explicitly makes it ward off the extra moisture and any diseases.
- It also helps the grass to stay resilient – even in droughts.
- Faster germination rate
- Growth observes thick blades
- The grass is tough
- It only happens to grow tall fescues
- Quite expensive
- It doesn’t fare well during summers
If you are looking for faster germination results and in-hand experience in tending the soil, then this product should give you the desired results. If you need the best lawn seeds then this can be your top pick.
3. Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed Perennial Ryegrass Mix, 3 Lb. – Full Sun And Light Shade
Scotts Turf Builder Grass Seed Perennial Ryegrass Mix is perfect for areas that have higher foot traffic. The mix can dramatically repair itself from having bare spots. The product seems to provide the self-sustenance that most lawn enthusiasts look for.
- Its 4-in-1 water coating helps it absorb twice the time of water. This also jumpstarts the growth, aiding in faster germination. It can produce thick, green grass. It is perfect for compacted soil and ideal for erosion control
- Germination rate is fast
- A perfect grass to plant for households having dogs
- The customer care doesn’t seem to offer much assistance
- The product lacks the quality it promises
Perennial Ryegrass takes up a lot of water, so that means you need to water at least five times a day. However, they have proven to be quite resistant to erosion and prevent the same. This is easily one of the top choices for the best lawn seed.
4. Grotrax Big Roll Year-round Green Grass Seed Mixture Mat Roll, (100 Square Feet)
Groatrax has a cumulative experience of 30 years in the area of growing grass. They are a highly revered brand for landscapers and homeowners alike.
- All it requires is pure rolling, watering, and observing.
- It includes year-round green mixture including excellent, tall and chewing fescue grass, rye, and Kentucky blue. Its bio fabric prevents the seeds from washing away.
- They are lighter and more accessible than any traditional sod.
- It works quite fast
- The roll works even when they aren’t watered for a long time.
- It works even in dry and hot conditions.
- They can rip easily (be careful while installing)
- Lacks netting
- It doesn’t work in areas with heavy foot traffic.
This product requires a lot of intricate handling, since the product can’t withstand harsh conditions. However, if you have a barren area in which you plan to grow into a green patch, then this roll is worth trying out. This is a great choice for the best lawn seed on the market.
5. Grotrax Patch and Repair Year-Round Green Grass Seed Mixture Mat Roll, (20 Square Feet)
Groatrax has a cumulative experience of 30 years in the area of growing grass. They are a highly revered brand for landscapers and homeowners alike.
- All it requires is pure rolling, watering, and observing.
- It includes year-round green mixture including excellent, tall and chewing fescue grass, rye, and Kentucky blue. Its bio fabric prevents the seeds from washing away.They are lighter and more comfortable than any traditional sod.
- Easy to set out
- It can ever grow grasses that have formerly remained barren
- Doesn’t wash up quickly even in the rain
- Shows no sprouting whatsoever as reported by many users
- The stakes seemed not to hold its respective place
- You need to dig about 2 inches of dirt before applying the roll
As reported by many users, this product produced incredible results. But it is worth a try given the convenience it provides. As some of the users have suggested, a two-inch dig on the soil will help the case if you are going to plant this roll. This is a great choice for the best lawn seed on the market.
6. Pennington Smart Seed Sun & Shade Mix N 3 Lb.
This product is pure-bred and requires 30% less water as opposed to any ordinary grass seed. The package also contains improved varieties and mixes of several kinds to cater to regions specific to each species.
- It provides a versatile lawn in areas that are moderately shady or even sunny. Once established, you get to see a thick, dark green lawn with fine blades playing on the grass.
- It is highly tolerant even in drought. The seed varieties are improved, which helps it thrive under shade and sun.
- If you are from Florida, consider this to be perfect for your lawn
- Requires little to no effort while planting
- It can go without water for several days
- Even though it says to perform well in the shade, it doesn’t
- Sometimes, only ¼ of the batch manage to germinate.
This seed requires no such prep work before planting, making it perfect for those who are too lazy but still want a good result. If your soil is sandy, expect it to thrive in such conditions.
7. Pennington 100526671 Smart Seed Sun And Shade Grass Seed, 7 Lbs
The Pennington Smart Seed Sun and Shade Grass Seed are pre-packed with a mix of high-quality grasses that can thrive in your preferred growing region. The product has gone through many tests and breeding over the years to provide the desired standard of performance.
- As opposed to any ordinary grass seeds, this one takes 40% less water. They can establish themselves fairly quickly and have varieties that thrive under the shade and sun. They have a high drought tolerance and are pest-resistant.
- Once established they tend to be lush and thick
- It can even take its roots to dusty areas
- Quicker germination even in unfavorable soil condition
- Germinates faster in wet areas
- Requires tilling before laying the seed.
- Does not fill with consistency and lacks longevity
If you are planning to seed this from scratch with dirt covers on it, it will germinate fast. But it is to be noted that the seed will require ample water supply for it to grow more quickly.
8. TifBlair Centipede Grass Seed (1 Lb.) Direct From The Farm
This product can ideally cover up to 4000 square feet of lawn with its 1lb package. Apart from its area of coverage, the TifBlair Centipede seeds are of superior quality, which mostly transcends the variants that we get in the market. When you are ordering them from the patten seed company, it is to be noted that they are coming directly from the family farm.
- These grass seeds are quite suitable for colder or zone 9 areas. They are also coated with mulch to improve their germination rate.
- They can thrive under full sun or in shade.
- Expect them to have high drought tolerance.
- Perfect for places lying between the upper transition zone to the southern coast, since they can tolerate extreme cold and heat.
- It is well suited in the North Carolina region
- It offers lush green and dense output once established
- Requires low-watering frequency
- When it grows, it can get patchy with weeds all over the lawn.
- These variety of lawn seeds take a lot of time to establish themselves.
- Maintenance cost is high.
If you can push yourself to have the extra effort of covering the seed with 1/4th dirt, then it is safe to say that you will get your desired result in no time. Otherwise, it is not a good purchase for you.
9. Watersaver Grass Seed Mixture With Turf-type Tall Fescue – Used To Seed New Lawn And Patch Up Jobs
As opposed to other Fescue species, these are provided with revolutionary RTF. With a deep root system, it anchors itself quickly to the soil and thrives in sun or shade. It has an overall seeding rate of 5 to 10 lbs for each 1000 sq ft.
- This mixture requires deficient maintenance and can fill the lawn relatively quicker than other lots of this kind. They can quickly fill any bare spots, and it doesn’t require a lot of watering. They are resilient, especially in the zones falling under a transition climate.
- They can withstand any harsh weather conditions without deterring its green color.
- It can also protect against any disease, insects, and also enhances drought resilience.
- Repairs itself
- Effectively fills the bare spots
- Results in an even lawn turnout – irrespective of sun or shade.
- It doesn’t perform very well in warm temperatures.
- Takes a lot of rain for it to thrive
- Quite expensive
If you are in a position to provide frequent water and can do moderate to light watering two times a day, then this product will give you your desired result. But it is not advisable for purchase if you require something of lower maintenance.
10. Centipede Grass Seed Mix For A Dense Green Lawn, 1 Lb Coated Seeds
Tolerant Lawn Seeding And Turf Patch Repair, Southern Southeast Us, Low Fertilizer Low Maintenance No Mulch
The Centipede grass variant is considered to be an all-rounder lawn grass for most south-eastern places of the US. The reason behind this suitability is because there is high annual rainfall, and the soil is acidic sandy.
- Their coated grass seeds can ideally protect itself without the need to add mulch. They are also fit for any hot climate with a steady amount of rainfall. It has proven to be resilient against acidic soil and the sun.
- Once the seeds grow fully, the Centipede Lawn will require lower maintenance. As opposed to St. Augustine Grass, they need a lesser amount of fertilizers. They can even tolerate moderate footfall.
- This grass variant does not ideally have any true dormancy, unlike Bahia and Zoysia grass. Also, they do not require overseeding for more color.
- These seeds also don’t require any sprigging.
- The seeds provided are of higher quality
- It saves a lot of money due to its low maintenance requirements.
- It has a faster germination rate
- It can aid you to fill any bare spots on your lawn
- It can also cover areas as large as ¼ acres.
- It takes a tad more effort to prepare the soil before seeding.
- The weed growth can’t be stopped unless you let the grass-grown to its prescribed height.
If you are someone who is looking to get their lawn grass growing in no time and is also from the southern parts of the US, this variant will do the trick for you.
11. Pennington Annual Ryegrass Retail Bag To Overseed Warm Season Grasses, 50 Lb
The Pennington Annual Ryegrass is a perfect seed for you to grow quick and temporary grass in your lawn. It is mostly used for overseeding grass like Zoysia and Bermuda Grass that are warm-season grasses.
- The Pennington Annual Ryegrass can establish the growth quickly.It is suitable for growing temporary grass.It can maintain green lawns throughout the year if seeded frequently. This makes this variety ideal for a patio, garden, and yard.
- It can ideally cover about ½ acres.
- It is ideal for seeding if you want temporary grass growth
- The germination rate is fast
- The color output is vibrant and green
- The seeds don’t necessarily need any soil preparation
- It is pretty cheap, as opposed to other variants in the market
- The seed when spread grows only 40% of the entire lot
- In most cases, as reported, seems to compost or fade itself away
- It lacks year-long longevity
- It lot appears to have a lot of weeds, which makes it unlikely for seeding
If you aren’t too well-equipped to have a well-prepared lawn, and if you are looking to grow some grass for a limited amount of time, this would be an excellent purchase for you. Additionally, it is quite cheap compared to other lots available in the market. But it is to be noted that this variant won’t have a long and extensive life.
12. Hancock’s Argentine Bahia Grass Seed Mix (Coated)
The Argentine Bahia grass bear similarity to St. Augustine, since it too has less sprout production like any other bahiagrass variant. Since they produce about 10 to 12 feet root structure, it requires low watering frequency. The Argentine Bahia grass is an environmentally friendly pasture and grass variant that is fit for most warm season and climates. Their most common application is seen for lawn and pasture growth.
- The Argentine Bahia grass is wide-bladed, lush, and attractive pasture and grass variant.
- They are mostly used for lawn and pasture application.They also require low watering frequency, which also makes it easier to grow in places where there isn’t enough supply of water. Their disease and insect tolerance level is high.They are perfect for warm-season and climates and are quite friendly environment-wise.
- They work well even in pre-established grass lawns
- Faster germination rate, which tentatively takes 4 to 6 days
- The color production is as green as it gets
- Requires low maintenance
- It is often the case some batches produce half germinated seeds which take
- The supplier of this product is not reliable
As opposed to all the corporate seed manufactures, this one performs very well. If you have a very happening life that restricts you from taking care of your lawn frequently, this seed variant grows well even with low water conditions.
13. Centipede Grass Lawn Seeds “Tifblair Certified” 1 Lb – 4000 Sq. Ft. Coverage
Almost over 50 years, Pattern Seed Company has been producing and marketing high-quality Centipede Grass Seeds under the trademark of Centipede Seeds. There has been an extensive search to improve the variant of centipede seeds for years. However, with the research conducted by Dr. Wayne Hanna, TifBlair centipede was discovered, which has been developed from its former variants. It has proven to have lower fertility requirements, faster germination, and has also shown resilience during winter.
- It requires low maintenance.The seed can grow in partial shade or full sun. It is drought resistant. The coverage is usually excellent and the coating appears to be super wrapped.Shows resilience during winter.Mowing frequency is low, and it is easier to mow as well. It has an overall coverage of 4000 sq. Ft.
- The grass grows over, shooting runners instead of increasing;like Rye or Kentucky
- The distribution of its growth is proportionate
- The first-ever certified centipede grass
- The seed is quite expensive
- Problems associated with growth even when growing criteria are fulfilled
- Takes more work while seeding than it’s supposed to
The centipede seeds are high if you are looking for some trouble-free lawn. The growth and coverage span out pretty well over the years, but is likely to crowd out. Make sure that you use an aerator till the soil you are planting them in resembles a pigsty.
Best Lawn Seed – Conclusion
With the number of grass types and their particular features at hand, it can take some time for you to process and assess each of them, respectively. So, the first thing that you’d need to do is familiarize yourself with the grass type.
Once you are familiar, you will be able to nitpick and find the one true suitable seed that aligns with your current geographical location. You must have an overview of the grass types and their suitability to your environment and climate. As already mentioned above, the weather condition will play a critical role in helping you determine what suits your lawn.
Once you are done assessing, the next thing that you need to do is settle with a choice of grass variant that will thrive throughout the year in your lawn. It also needs to find sustainability in the condition your lawn is in, but that is for you to find out.
For instance, some of the grass variants mentioned above love sunny conditions, while others prefer shade. Naturally, these are factors that you need to keep in mind while choosing the grass type of your choice. You can consider the pros and cons mentioned in our list of top picks before choosing the perfect grass seed for your lawn.