|1. Scotts||2. Espoma||3. Jonathan Green|
Zoysia grass is well known for its ability to withstand extreme temperatures. It is a genus of grass that is generally used in lawns and gardens. It grows densely wherever you plant this grass.
It is necessary to feed a good plant food so that you get healthy grass and there is no scope of insects and worms in your garden. To serve this purpose, you need to have the best fertilizer for zoysia grass, which keeps your lawn healthy. You need to make sure that the fertilizer must be organic and 100% natural. You need to check various factors before buying a suitable one for your gardening needs.
It requires little to no manual hard work to grow them. However, once fully grown, it might become a feast to numerous insects and worms. Hence it is essential to treat them with proper fertilizers. In this article, we have done adequate research and listed some of the best fertilizers for growing Zoysia Grass.
Factors To Be Considered Before Buying Fertilizers For Zoysia Grass
Here are a few points to understand some factors before purchasing the fertilizer.
1. Know The Elements Present In The Fertilizer
When choosing a fertilizer, look at whether or not phosphorous (P) is mentioned in the ingredients. Phosphorus plays an essential role in maintaining the grass’s health as it ensures proper rooting. Another element that you should look for before buying a fertilizer is Nitrogen (N). It helps to maintain the overall health and prevents frostbite.
2. Choose Organic Fertilizers To Feed The Soil
Organic fertilizers are made from purely natural products to provide a variety of nutrients to the soil. Using organic fertilizers will ensure that your grass will have a long life.
3. Premium Quality
Premium quality lawn fertilizers deliver quick and long-lasting results. These fertilizers are undoubtedly expensive, but they are the best option in the long run.
Vegetative Types Of Zoysia
There are two types of Zoysia grass:
1. Emerald Zoysia Grass
Emerald Zoysia has thin leaves with sharp edges on the upper layer. It renders a lush look to your lawn. It can resist drought and shade, like other types of Zoysia grass. This grass provides a fine texture. You may not even mow it regularly, as it grows to a height of only six to twelve inches.
2. Meyer Zoysia Grass
Another type of Zoysia grass is popularly known as Meyer Zoysia. The leaf texture of this grass variant is soft, and it has a light green color. Their color is much lighter as compared to the Emerald Zoysia grass.
How To Maintain Zoysia Grass?
Zoysia grass must be maintained well, or else it will lose its charm. You need to follow the below-mentioned tips to make sure that the Zoysia grass growing on your lawn looks beautiful:
1. Mowing Zoysia Sod
The minimum height recommended for the grass to grow before you mow is 1.5 inches. At a single mow, you should not cut off more than one-third part of the leaf. Make sure that your mower has sharp blades and use the method of catch and remove clipping.
2. Watering Zoysia Sod
In spite of being drought tolerant, Zoysia grows best if they are watered once every week. If your city experiences 1 to 2 inches of rainfall every week, then additional irrigation for Zoysia grass is not necessary. Overwatering should not be done at any cost.
3. Fertilization Of Zoysia Sod
You should use only the best fertilizer for Zoysia grass. During the growing season, 2-4 pounds of nitrogen should be sprinkled per 1000 square feet of land. Avoid applying fertilizers to wet turf.
4. Weed Control For Zoysia Grass
You can use herbicide for controlling the weed growth on zoysia grass. You can always consider contacting a nursery center or an agent of State Cooperative Extension service for the identification of weeds and controlling pests.
5. Disease Control And Removal Of Thatch
Zoysia Patch disease, which is popularly known as Rhizoctonia fungus, is a type of infection that can be found in over-fertilized lawns. Another problem that is commonly associated with Zoysia grass is the rusting of leaves.
There are other soil prone problems that may occur due to the presence of some insects such as Grubs, Billbugs, etc. Try using a commercial machine for the process of dethatching.
6. Fertilization For Zoysia Grass
Proper fertilizers should be applied to Zoysia grass lawns to prevent them from getting damaged or destroyed. Moreover, various insects can ruin the grass, and by using fertilizers during the growing stage, all these factors can be kept in check.
Make sure to use the right amount of fertilizers at regular intervals, or else too much fertility may also destroy the grass.
Well, there are a lot of fertilizers available in the market, and you may be confused as to which fertilizer would be the best option. Therefore, we have made the task easy for you by listing some of the best fertilizer for Zoysia grass.
Top 8 Best Fertilizers For Zoysia Grass 2021
1. Scotts Turf Builder Southern Triple Action
The compost has a unique triple action formula, as the name suggests, and it helps in killing clover and dollarweed. It also helps to kill fire ants, which may be present in the soil, and that may damage the Zoysia grass. Go through some of its exciting features.
- Triple Action Formula: The triple-action formula developed by Scotts makes this fertilizer the best option to kill and prevent insects and feed the grass. It is a 3 in 1 action fertilizer.
- Produce Thick Grass: It helps in growing thicker grass. The compost is beneficial to produce a lush green lawn.
- Kill Varieties of Weeds: It helps to kill different types of weeds that include chickweed, clover, dollarweed, henbit, etc.
- Kill Various Types of Worms: It kills and prevents sod webworms, fire ants, fleas, mole crickets, and other similar insects that may damage the grass.
- New grass grows quite soon.
- It prevents the growth of Crabgrass.
- The Triple Action formula helps in feeding the fresh grass.
- Sometimes, this fertilizer is ineffective and does not produce as desired.
2. Espoma Lawn Food All Seasons
Espoma ELF 20 is a natural and the best fertilizer for zoysia grass. It is completely organic and serves as an all-season food to the zoysia grass in your lawn. The compost is safe for kids, pets, and the environment as well.
It ensures the healthy growth of your Zoysia grass. With the help of this fertilizer, you can create a healthy lawn. Moreover, your garden will require less frequent mowing if you use Espoma Elf 20 lawn food. The fertilizer consists of a lot of features that make it a suitable option to be used on Zoysia Grass.
- Suitable for All Types of Zoysia Grass: The fertilizer is appropriate to use on all types of zoysia grass.
- Ideal for All Seasons: You can use this fertilizer as an all-season food. You can use this fertilizer four times a year, like in Early Spring, Late Spring, Late Summer, and fall. If you are using the product as an Espoma Annual program, then use it from April to June.
- It can be easily used in all seasons.
- One can easily spread this fertilizer on the lawn.
- It comes at a budget-friendly cost.
- There is no phosphorus in the fertilizer.
3. Jonathan Green Mag-i-cal
Jonathan green fertilizers will help you make a dream lawn of your own where you will have high-quality natural Zoysia grass grown. The compost has properties that help in the growth of natural, insect, and disease-resistant grasses.
If your lawn is prone to weeds, diseases, or insects, then consider using traditional lawn care chemicals that may help to address such issues with much ease. Therefore, we recommend eventually focusing on creating a more healthy soil that can adequately feed the grass and helps to boost its defenses.
Jonathan Green Fertilizer acts as one of the best lawn care chemicals that are environment-friendly and destroy weeds and insects from the soil. It also provides proper nutrition.
- Suitability: This fertilizer is the best fit for sod lawns and serves as seeding and sodding lawn fertilizer.
- Rich in Calcium: The fertilizer is a highly soluble form of calcium, and hence, it can be easily absorbed by the plants.
- Easily Absorbed: This fertilizer is readily available for plant intake, and it is ready for pH adjustment as well.
- Easy to Spread: The fertilizer can be easily spread as it has a granular texture. You can use the fertilizer throughout the entire yard and garden.
- This fertilizer helps in killing the weeds and insects to the best possible extent.
- It enhances the growth of grass.
- You can use it safely with children around.
- This fertilizer is comparatively expensive.
4. Milogranite Nitrogen Fertilizer
The fertilizer serves as the best option to ensure the proper growth of lawns, trees, flowers, and shrubs. The long-lasting effect and the slow nitrogen releasing property of this fertilizer helps to feed the soil for up to 10 weeks.
The formula used in this best fertilizer for zoysia grass helps in reducing the need for mowing, conserving water, and is non-leaching in nature as well. The compost used in this fertilizer has been proven to be the best for over 90 years. Vibrant green lawn and healthy plants can be obtained if the fertilizer is used correctly from the growing stage of zoysia grass.
- Quality: The fertilizer is of excellent quality, and it ensures healthy growth of grass, flowers, and shrubs.
- Good Food Option: You can use the fertilizer on lawns, flowers, shrubs, etc. A pack of 32 lbs can easily cover an area of 2,500 sq. Feet, and it will feed your entire yard or garden.
- Easy to Use Texture: This fertilizer is available in granular form, and it ensures healthy growth of zoysia grass, which will be densely populated and rich in minerals.
- Great Formula: No salt is present in the fertilizer, and, therefore, it can also be used in areas that experience drought.
- It is suitable for all types of grass.
- This fertilizer ensures healthy growth of roots.
- The effect of the fertilizer is slow.
5. Lesco Professional Starter Fertilizer
Lesco professional 50 LB fertilizer is popularly known as starter turf fertilizer that is poly-coated. Almost 30% of the compost is poly-coated, and it has sulfur coated urea as well. The manure is one of the best options available due to its properties, and it has several nutrients available that provide excellent nutrition to the soil and grass as well.
This fertilizer supplies all required nutrients to the soul and ensures the healthy growth of Zoysia grass. The compost is a slow-releasing variant. Therefore, it ensures that food is supplied for almost eight weeks regularly.
- Healthy Grass: It helps to ensure that the grass-grown is healthier and free from all sorts of diseases and insecticides.
- 100% Organic: The turf fertilizer is poly-coated and contains urea to ensure proper nutrition is supplied to your Zoysia grass.
- Lasting Effect: It is a slow nutrient releasing variant that provides food for eight long weeks.
- Environment-Friendly Formula: It has a high phosphorus content that ensures the better establishment of roots. It promotes disease tolerance quality of the new seedlings.
- The fertilizer is purely organic.
- There is no use of hard chemicals.
- The quality of soil improves upon its application.
- The price is a bit expensive.
6. Natural Alternative Lawn Fertilizer
This is the best fertilizer for zoysia grass, and with the help of this natural fertilizer, you can obtain a healthy green color for the grass in your lawn. You will not have to worry about the growth spurts as well.
The fertilizer is hugely beneficial for the sods, and there are enriched microbes present in the fertilizer that supplies all the necessary nutrients to the soil; thus, enriching it to ensure healthy growth of zoysia grass. The use of this fertilizer also enhances the water absorption quality of the land. The natural fertilizer is packed with a lot of features to ensure the healthy and steady growth of zoysia grass.
- Used in a Large Area: The quantity of the fertilizer can cover an area of almost 6,000 square feet. The compost is free from phosphorus; thus, it is a safe alternative that can be used in areas around lakes, bays, and rivers.
- Minimum Usage: You will have to use the fertilizer slowly and steadily so that you can feed your lawn appropriately.
- Materials used: The fertilizer is natural and organic-based. It is full of abundant organics, and several beneficial microbes are used that are beneficial to the soil.
- This fertilizer is 100% organic.
- It is suitable for all types of grass.
- It helps in making the turf stronger.
- You need to have a spreader to spread the fertilizer in your lawns.
7. SustaneOrganic Turf Starter and Overseeder
Turf starter fertilizer is made with organic, and natural products so that it doesn’t harm the growth of zoysia grass. Composted turkey litter is used to produce fertilizer, and it is manufactured aerobically.
Feather meal and sulfate of potash are some of the active ingredients that are used as well. Due to the composting process, the fertilizer produced is safe, and it doesn’t damage the grass as well.
- Right Time to Use: The product is best if used from August to September on the soil.
- Effective: You can apply new grass seed mixed with Sustane fertilizers to promote the growth of Zoysia Grass in Lawns.
- Kill Weeds: Weeds can be effectively crowded out of the lawn, and Sustane fertilizers help to speed up the process.
- Used in Fully Grown Grass: You can apply the fertilizer to the existing lawn, as this helps to promote dense growth of grass.
- It has a balanced formula to ensure a proper supply of nutrients.
- This fertilizer helps in making the Zoysia grass greener and thicker.
- It is an organic composition.
- It can be used for a limited period.
8. Lesco Weed and Feed
Another variant of Lesco Professional fertilizers is the St. Augustine Turf Fertilizer that provides defense from the weed. It acts as a source of food to the soil. Urea is used in the fertilizer, 30% of which is coated with sulfur.
The compost is manufactured especially for the zoysia grass, and it ensures the healthy growth of Zoysia grass, keeping it free from all kinds of weeds and insects. It is recommended to use this fertilizer while the grass is still wet to ensure that the soil fully absorbs the product.
- Great Action: The action of fertilizer can be observed in a short turnaround time. You will be able to experience good health of your Zoysia Grass in just two weeks. The variant is safe for Floratam variety, as well.
- Last for Days: The product is released slowly to the soil. Therefore, you should use it at regular intervals. The fertilizers provide food and nutrition for eight weeks.
- Faster Growth of Roots: This fertilizer helps in the efficient growth of roots.
- It ensures faster growth of the root.
- It is a high-quality natural and organic fertilizer.
- You may require a tool to disperse it.
Best Fertilizers For Zoysia Grass – Final Thoughts
Zoysia is a turfgrass species and its prices are high due to its drought tolerance ability. To grow the excellent quality of Zoysia grass, you need to ensure that the plot is ready for sowing sods. The fertilizer is applied to the site to ensure the healthy growth of grass. These fertilizers contain a formula that is rich in phosphorus, as it helps the root to grow stronger.
Zoysia Grass doesn’t need daily or monthly fertilization. It will be the most luxurious and healthy with dense growth, also if it is fertilized once every year. You can feed your lawn in late May or early June when the grass is growing actively. We recommend that ordinary, granular fertilizers should not be applied as they may burn your Zoysia grass or may cause severe damage to the lawn.
Hence, consider using the above-stated best fertilizer for Zoysia Grass and obtain a greener and healthier lawn.
FAQs on Fertilizers For Zoysia Grass
1. Is Zoysia Grass Easy To Maintain?
Another name for Zoysia is drought-resistant grass. The species can indeed withstand a lot of harsh weather conditions and require low maintenance.
2. Which Vegetative Of Zoysia Grass Is The Best?
If you desire a top quality lawn, then you must choose to grow Emerald Zoysia Grass. They have low growth and are mostly shade tolerant.
3. Does Zoysia Grass Turn Brown In Winter?
When a warm-season variety such as Zoysia is grown in the lawn, there are chances that the grass goes dormant in the winter season. Due to this, its color changes to brown when the temperature goes below 55 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Do I Need To Water Zoysia Grass In Winter?
You can choose to water Zoysia once every 1.5-2 weeks thoroughly. It is sufficient for the grass when they are in the dormant stage. Whereas, once the lawns are established, they do not require any watering in winter. Their root system is intense, and it will have access to the present moisture underground.